Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WCE - Writers Chapter Exchange (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WCE - Writers Chapter Exchange
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it my turn already or is someone left?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe we have Bobbyshane next, then we'll start over with you, Martin.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Mauve sounds good to me. I think of a person with a sobriety about them, it feels a bit weightier than Sierra which sounds slightly flighty to me (which is odd because the Sierra mountains are not flighty).

Took me a while to respond but thanks for the comments everyone.

The other day I thought of a completely different name that seemed to fit better but forgot it already.

How about Lightning??? That wasn't it but it would almost fit her.

And the Sierras aren't very flighty even though they are not as weighty as the Rockies

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited February 27, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Not to be a pain but it's Monday evening and we are suppose to send our chapters on Sundays. Bobbyshane, please post your first chapter.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

not well this mnth. will comeback later

Smiley

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montag
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Montag   Email Montag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to jump in this if I can.

Fantasy setting. My own little world > . Only two species: Dragons and humans. Dragons aren't introduced early though.

1st Chapter is 2275 words.
2nd Chapter is 3788 words.

I will work hard on getting the next few chapters done. I already have them in mind just need to type it out.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did everybody go?
Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin's chapter 2 should have been back to him this past Sunday.

(Martin, I'll have for you soon.)

Louis is up next. Bright Lights & Chaos - chapter 2.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I was wondering the same thing. So far I haven't received a single review. I assumed people were busy so I waited.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Is my turn now or next Sunday?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Your turn 2 days ago.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Martin, I must have misplaced it because now that you mention it I remember receiving something but when I went through my stories Saturday I didn't see it. How I can misplace a file I don't know.

And my chapter is going out tonight, hopefully between 7:30 and 8:15 Pacific Time.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Martin, I sent you a short crit. As I said it's short but I really don't know if I can say more. I will go back over it again to make sure but it seems to be coming along fine. More about that in my Crit. And some hatrackers might find things I didn't see and won't see.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And I sent out my Chapter two. If anyone didn't get it I will try again.
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet, I missed you guys! Don't you know how desperate some of us are for fellow writers just rub electronic elbows?

Anyway, looking forward to it LD.

Has Montag been injected into the list? And it seems like it would be helpful to have a full list posted every week. I mean, if we're paying attention to our emails we'll know who just went, look at the list and say "ok, I'm up next."

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

I didn't get the story LD.

Also, I didn't know to add Montag to the list. Somehow I missed the post...

LD, send your chapter to the firebat and we'll absorb he into the fold.

Axe

MartinV
Member # 5512

I've received 1.25 review so far (Louis made a rough review and said he would get back with more.)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

From my point of view it's probably closer to .50 of a review. I don't think I will find a lot to be critical of. We shall see of course when I take a closer look.

But I think this is the fourth story and chapter that I didn't find much I could say. Except with what was done right that is. Either most of you here are improving significantly or I'm slipping in my reading habits.

MartinV
Member # 5512

You can say what you liked too. Or what you failed to understand.
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

It's true, LD, a review/crit doesn't have to be bad. Finding the positive is good too, but in either case for myself, I find I have to lower my squelch if you will.

Like, I'm a pretty tolerant reader. I'll find something that in a story that is the equivalent of a guy in the theater next to me saying something during the movie. The movie is fine, but the guy just reminded me it's just a movie. Or on the flipside, seeing a scene that was just so amazing that I stop to look around like "did anyone else see that?"

So when I review someone else's work, every time I find a speed bump or one of those "wow" moments I stop and write a comment whether good or bad. It's just a matter of training yourself not to ignore those subtley different sounds coming from under the hood. "What was that throbbing sound? Is my engine out of tune? Is the wheel pulling...oh it's not too bad..." then you get used to it and ignore it.

"This writer uses unnecessary prose...well I don't like it, but someone else might" I think that's the most tempting. We don't want to be hard on a writer when it's just our opinion, but the thing is all of their readers will have opinions. He/She can't write for the opinionless writer, and each opinion will come back from a different perspective, we need to help them see what others might see in their writing by being ourselves. Not by giving them the non-opinions of a hypothetical third person.

That's how I approach it anyway, and anyone is free to let me know they'd like less feedback then I give.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

axeminister, The second chapter I sent came back twice. You been busy with E-mail?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As for reviews and crits. I know that you can say positive or good things about a story. I usually do but with most stories that doesn't take long to type out, even when I point out scenes with good techniques.

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Hotmail isn't working for me write now, so I may be delayed in reviewing. LD, I was going to ask you by email if you had another formatted file for chapter two, I don't have anything that can open a cwk.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I received one e-mail with that comment about the format. Was that you?

I sent another file with .rtf . If you are having problems you may not have received it

For some reason I attached the wrong file originally, too much of a hurry probably.

Anyone else get the wrong file?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, I got my first crit for my late second chapter but it looks like I'm still having problems getting it sent out to one person, at least one.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited March 20, 2011).]

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,
LD replied he got my critique.
Did you get the one of yours I did?

Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I received four reviews from: Jesse, Louis, Dustin and dr. Bob. Since I don't know which Hatrack name goes to which name, I hope you can recognize yourself. :P
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

bump.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Martin I was going to ask if you got my second more full crit. Even though there wasn't much more in it.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited April 03, 2011).]

MartinV
Member # 5512

I got both reviews from you, Louis.
MartinV
Member # 5512

My computer's broke so I don't know how I will fare with the reading.
MartinV
Member # 5512

My computer is fixed. I caught up on my reading so I'm ready to receive new chapters.
MartinV
Member # 5512

Ok, I feel like I'm talking to myself.

Who's next on the list? I know we didn't get around to me yet.

axeminister
Member # 8991

You are talking to yourself. =)

There seems to be a few folks who have vanished, but still a few folks who are digging the exchange.

I'll send an e-mail with the active names on it and the order.

If you find yourself missing from the list and want to be back on it, say something in here.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Ok, I feel like I'm talking to myself.

Two things here:
Hey, you're a writer, you sit around all day making up stuff: wonderful, fantastic, sometimes life encouraging, you tell lies for a living and get away with it. Of course you talk to yourself.

And if you are like most people here, um, some people here- well, a small handful of people here you do talk to yourself.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

But I be here and am active. So let's party. With chapters that is.
MartinV
Member # 5512

I'll send chapter 3 of the Arena today.

Edit: Ok, I've sent chapter 3 to Dustin, rfinegold, Jesse and ldwriter2. If anyone's missing, let me know.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited April 17, 2011).]

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

I've spent my whole life wanting to be praised by people who ignored me and wanted me to change who I was to be in someway useful to their lives that required the world to revolve around them...but finally...finally I am part of the in-crowd.

Jk, none of us are like that. I mean none of us spend our time reimagining...the world...as...hmmm...dang maybe I am one of those people.

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Just wanted to let all the newer Hatrackers know we are still here. We have a group of about five here now, and we exchange a chapter (more or less, of whatever work the writer chooses) each week rotating through the group, then over the week the others in the group perform ritual mutilation to it so that you can take your baby back home to bandage it up.

It is worth it, it forces you to face the flaws in your own work which might put off a potential reader if you're going e-publishing or an editor or agent when they see it.

We're open to more people, but it would really be great if that someone could consistently review other people's work in the week, and on their turn in rotation post promptly on Sundays or near about. So if you'd like to join, contact myself (enigmaticuser/Jesse) or one of the other regulars: MartinV, LDWriter2, axeminister, History.

MartinV
Member # 5512

So far I received two reviews for Arena chapter 3. It went out to five people so... put your back to it!
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
Please forgive me everyone. My life has been turmoil and I have been staggering through it. I must have some important lessons to learn otherwise I doubt it would been quite as difficult. The old saying "stuck between a rock and a hard place" seems very appropriate. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say it has been hard and my writing has suffered to near nonexistence of late. I hope this group hasn't suffered too much in my absence, and I hope it will continue without much support from me.

Please continue to include me on the email list as I won't intrude and may find a moment to critique some of your work from time to time.

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mike, Life can get that way at times. Whatever is going on, my sympathies on being in that spot. I know it's hard. But coming out the other side many times is better. Not does you know what happens but Grace happens too.

The rock and hard place makes a nice title for a UF book though.

MartinV
Member # 5512

Take your time. We all have hard moments.
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for Wonderbus   Email Wonderbus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi people,

Wow, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! I see you're open to new members and I'd be really keen to join--the only problem I see is I'd hate to start critting someone's novel half way through the thing so I think if I can join that I'll be playing catch up for a little while though I reckon I'd soon be able to catch up with the crits.

As for my own novel; it's dark fantasy and I'm currently into chapter 7 (22 thousand words)

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

I sent out my 3rd round yesterday. Let me know if it wasn't received.

Mike, it's no problem. Hopefully you can get the roller coaster to slow down a bit for a while.

Wonderbus. Maybe what you can do is simply read the first few chapters to get caught up, then crit only the newest chapter? That way you don't have a mountain of crits to climb. If that sounds OK we can throw you in the mix.

We're trying to max out at around 5k words on chapter exchange, so if you have 7 into 22 then that sounds OK.

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited May 02, 2011).]

Wonderbus
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for Wonderbus   Email Wonderbus         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks axeminster, sounds good. Everybody can feel free to send me their stuff whenever they like.

And if anybody does want some comments on earlier chapters that'll be no problem at all; just let me know when you send the chapters over.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

I'm up this week so I'll send over mine.
There's one tweak I want to put in, so it will be tomorrow.

I'll send out a global e-mail now to get everyone back in the loop.

Axe

MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone,

LDWriter2, R&HP will not a title for another novel, but a title for a part of my story. My main character will be stuck in a mining prison...when he tries to escape he finds the prison is...in space. "Rock and a very hard place", any takers?

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited May 02, 2011).]

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

MikeL, that actually sounds like an interesting story. Maybe the prison guards didn't even know they were inside a rock? Maybe it was like City of Ember and that was all they knew? So he's not just a free man, he's the only free man.
MartinV
Member # 5512

Fourth circle begins, it seems. I've already send the fourth chapter of Arena to you. If I forgot anyone, let me know.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.