Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 1/7/11 - 1/13/11

Author Topic: NSG 1/7/11 - 1/13/11
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing again this week? You okay, William? Or just still recovering from the holidays?

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).
What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?
Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research
=-=-=-=-=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For myself:

Last Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY
BLOOD WILL TELL

DREAMER'S ROSE: Continue the rewrite.
Nope. Didn't touch it this week. While I've got myself psyched up to work on the query and synopsis for MAGE STORM, I've got to take advantage of it.

MAGE STORM: Continue polishing the synopsis and the query letter.
Yes. I think the query is almost there. Still need to work on the synopsis, though.

SEVEN STARS: Continue working out the idea until it's ready.
No again.

OTHER: Update my blog twice a week.
Yes.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY
BLOOD WILL TELL
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE and BLOOD WILL TELL are likely to come back off the shelf sometime this year. But, for now, they're going to rest a little.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
I plan to get back to the rewrite of this as soon as I get the query and synopsis for MAGE STORM knocked into shape and the first queries out the door.

MAGE STORM:
Finish polishing the synopsis and the query letter. Send the first queries out.

SEVEN STARS:
Continue working out the idea until it's ready.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
I've started a possible story for Enchanted Conversation's Rumplestiltskin issue. We'll see how it goes. It may not be different enough--at least, not yet.

Just realized, with the holidays and every thing, I forgot,

Quarterly Submission Stats:

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: 23 submissions, 23 rejections. Currently tabled for a partial rewrite.

BLOOD WILL TELL: 38 submissions, 2 requests for partial, 38 rejections. Tabled while I figure out what it needs.

"Mage Storm" (the short story, not the novel): 6 rejections, one after reaching the second round, and it's withdrawn from one market after five months. I'm holding this one, for now, since I'm ready to start querying the novel.

"The Bard's Gift": 6 rejections and sitting for over five months at a seventh market.

"Becoming Lioness": 10 rejections, one with positive feedback. I'm trying to decide what it's next stop is going to be.

Waiting to hear on my WotF entry.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited January 10, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Feels good to be riding the momentum into the home stretch. I have added a couple of things in later scenes that I'll need to go back in and add to earlier chapters though.

VALDA AND THE VALKYRIES.
Last Week's Goals

• Finish the Great Library scene - done!
  • write 5k words - I wrote 7080!

Next Week's Goals

• 5k words again - I wait until I pass my word count goal at least two consecutive weeks before I raise it again.
  • Write the Aelfheim chapter

Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Did a bunch of words in "Bright Lights and Chaos" Added around 4,500 words to the length with the collapsing building scene, I had to redo a part of one scene to add this one in. And added two conversations with her father. Plus started redoing Chapter one for the chapter exchange. Hopefully the rest of that chapter won't need as much work.

Did a bunch in "Storm Born" got my MC out of his engagement and into an embarrassing situation with his ex-girlfriend. I think I mentioned some of this last week.

Did very little on "New Mage On The Block" . I would say a thousand words at the very most.

Did a couple of other non novel things too.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherryCurtis
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for CherryCurtis   Email CherryCurtis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have my tree down yet, still recovering from the holidays around here. I did get back comments from critiquers and re wrote the first chapter of FotD. Sent it out to see if I'm getting off the blocks better. Completed several critques for others. Started sweet talkin my awesome spouse into an april conference and immersion class. Can anyone recomend any good classes? Is the OC bootcamp going this year?
Next week, going to get back to my 2/3 mark revision spot and keep re working the beginning.
Thanks for the accountability, CC

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
On chapter 16 of my WIP. Being in and out of the forum has truly helped me progress as a writer. I still have a long way to go, but I've never felt more confident than I do now for this piece.

I had planned out this one in pretty good detail, and still had a great ah-ha moment this morning about 2:30 am. I had most of the hero's goals laid out already, but then as I was having the mercenary character recover from the bad guys trying to eliminate him from the equation, much to his surprise. He gets into a dialog with himself about what-the-heck is going on? and why their trying to kill him. As I was pounding away at the keyboard revolving through what his thoughts on the matter. I'm typing away and before I know I've typed out a whole escalated scenario far passed what I had even first imagined that could lead to the genocidal destruction of the whole race.

Unknown to me till I typed out that dialog I had laid the ground work out for a far more horrific doomsday scenario than I had first envisioned or even thought about. It was perfect timing in the story.

finishing wotf q2 story.

thats about it besides a few crits.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.