Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » NSG 5/27 - 6/2

Author Topic: NSG 5/27 - 6/2
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group (NSG). Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
  • Describe what you worked on.
  • Set goals for next week.
  • Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

• Writing on a novel
  • Characterization
  • World Building
  • Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

Last Week's Goals

I didn't do anything this week either. I was busy at work getting things wrapped up for the time I would be away.

My goals for next week:

• Short Story

I'm in Phoenix right now (hot) and I hope to have some time to write while out of time. I hope anyway.

What did I learn this week?

Not much this week.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Next Week's Goals:

DREAMER'S ROSE: Nothing for this month.
Easy goal.

MAGE STORM: Revise the query letter. Send the ms. to that interested agent ( ) and start querying again.
Sort of. I've done a little to the query letter and I intend to send the ms this morning.

SEVEN STARS: Get back to work on the second draft through chapter 18.
Yep.

BLOOD WILL TELL: Continue the chapter exchange(s) and make revisions.
Yes, and almost done, too.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Try to get a little work done on my WotF entry for Quarter 3.
Yes to the first, no to the second. There are only so many hours in a day, no matter what I do.

Next Week's Goals:

On the Shelf:
THE SHAMAN'S CURSE
THE IGNORED PROPHECY

Keep jotting down ideas of how these two might be changed.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Nothing for this month.

MAGE STORM:
Revise the query letter and start querying again.

SEVEN STARS:
Second draft through chapter 24.

BLOOD WILL TELL:
Complete the chapter exchange and make revisions.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Try to get a little work done on my WotF entry for Quarter 3. Maybe even an entry for the challenge here (if I figure out how to get a few more hours int the day.)

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHam
Member # 9518

- posted      Profile for JHam           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I’m Joe and new to the tree house, still finding my way around. I’ve got two unfinished novels I’ve been dabbling with for years. One is a fantasy about a guild of Knights and the other is set in a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles. I also have several short stories that I wrote for a college class. I’ve been taking them out and dusting them off to see if any of them were worth touching up and sending out.

• What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
o I had hoped to write another five thousand on my fantasy novel but got side tracked by a short story that took up all my time.

• Describe what you worked on.
o “It’s in the numbers”, a short SF story about a twelve year old boy with some unique powers.
o I also sent two short stories off, which is something I’ve never done. I await my first rejection letters.

• Set goals for next week.
o Get back to my fantasy novel and finish two chapters I have started.
o Also work on another short that popped into my head for the challenge “Little Miss”.

• Did you learn something during this week?
o I do character and plot development before I write. I always thought I just spontaneously did it as I wrote. But when it was pointed out I do the opposite. I actually develop things first before I start writing. Surprised me when I thought about it. I learned that in the writing assignments which led me to write “It’s in the Numbers.”

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
Last Week:

THE NULL PROPHET: Continue exchanges. Bring out of hibernation.
Yes. I started going back through my exchange feedback and making the easier changes, and a list of bigger problems to tackle. I made a summary/scene list to help me organize structural changes, and worked on my query.

MINDWALKER: Hit the 50,000 word mark
Yes.

Next Week:

THE NULL PROPHET: Continue exchanges (and finish one of them ). Work through scene list & mark it up with changes I want to make, and work on query.

MINDWALKER: Write some every day.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
Evangeline: No work, back burner. No block just don't have enough time =( Dang too, I'm totally seeing epic scenes replaying over and over in my mind. It will be my greatest yet.

New Arbor Day: Getting some serious revision work in, up to 79 pages. Much more pleased with it now, especially as I'm seeing a lot of plot holes eliminated. Why did this person walk when they could drive? Etc...

Next Week: Same for Evangeline, and pass 150 pages on New Arbor Day...yes I know that means writing more next week than I failed to write this week. But it's getting quicker. Less to trim.

[This message has been edited by enigmaticuser (edited May 30, 2011).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Okay, Finished "Storm Born". The Bad guy is defeated, probably never to return but no one knows what happened to the assistant, in fact he may have been forgotten. But I decided to make him the strange book- occultic store owner who bugged my MC at one point. And relationships have been repaired--mostly and my MC has made friends with a rather mean unicorn and decided his wizard acquaintance was more of a friend after all. Oh, and I need to split part of chapter fourteen and make it fifteen.

I haven't done much work on the second revision of Bright Lights.

Did some work on New Mage. I think I may go with another chapter. I thought the next one would be it but I think something else has to happen even though I'm not sure what. Something to do with the relationship with her friends and probably some type of danger scene. I haven't had one for a chapter.

Oh yes, I keep forgetting. Goals for this week are to work on New Mage, maybe finish the new second to the last chapter and to work more on that second revision.
Along with crits and posts and E-mails and such.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited May 31, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.