Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » On The Premises contest # 15 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: On The Premises contest # 15
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one other that I haven't read.

I think mine's about ready to go.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've gotten one back from Snapper and read LDwriter's and returned.

Anyone who has one ready I can read, I can also ship mine to anyone who hasn't seen it.

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited September 02, 2011).]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I still have one story to do. Problem is I need to go back over it, I've only found one thing to say about it.

And I need to redo my story one more time. This story won't take long but the Q4 story, which also needs one more revision, will.

And now I can't find the original E-mail for that story someone sent, Most have deleted it by accident when I was cleaning out some old E-mails Or I'm just not seeing it, which sometimes happens. I apologize for that. It's not in the trash file either.

A nice WWII story with a twist too.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited September 03, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I've received stories from Snapper and Owasm. I've returned feedback for Snapper and am reading through Owasm's stories.

I'm happy to exchange with anyone else who'd like to do so. I've revised my own story considerably since I sent it out initially, so wouldn't mind feedback on the revised version.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I sent in my story. With all the help it should get further than my previous entries. Of course there's only been one or two. And getting further probably isn't saying much because of where my story and writing started with this story.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

LDwriter that one is mine, tell me if I need to resend it
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

LDwriter that story is mine. Let me know if I need to resend.

Osiris send yours my way.

Osiris
Member # 9196

Utah, sent.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Utahute I have the story. I don't have a return e-mail address. But now that I know for sure who it is I can use the address that is connected to your posts.

I have some extra stuff to do today so expect it late afternoon or evening today. My time that is.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

LD I'm in a limited internet area until monday night, so that's fine

Osiris - got it, will give it a read and get it back to you early next week.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, I sent my last crit. I'm free of any crits except for one more for another group. Well, I guess two. But that one won't take long.

Looks like there's time I could do one more from here. If I don't lose the file or the return e-mail that is.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Submitted mine. Thanks to everyone who gave it the once over. As always when I get around to submitting, the coinfidence I had for it has depleted. Oh well, someone has to win.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So how many of us have or will submit? Looks like four at the most, which means we could all get something. HM at least. Three HMs or was that just for the mini-contest?
Osiris
Member # 9196

I'm definitely submitting, but I'm trying to get in as much revision as possible, so I won't submit until the 29th.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Just sent mine.

OTP's Facebook page has 99 "likes".

Anyone care to make it an even 100?

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited September 17, 2011).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Just submitted my story a couple of hours ago. Good luck all!
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well mine just went. And to think I had a whole five hours plus to spare.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

OK, a question about OTP. I entered the mini contest and the submission was received. When I checked after I submitted the current story I saw that the entry was now marked declined. Is that because it didn't win, or because there was a glitch in the submission process. Only asking to see if I need to worry about the current contest.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm not sure if this is the reason but OTP did announce the winners of the mini contest. You should have received a E-mail. I got that and a separate Newsletter. I think there was 87 entries, three place winners and maybe six (there seemed to be a contradiction there) HMs.

I also entered but didn't even get close my story is now on my blog even though you would have to scroll down a bit. Some day I will get around to putting it on my story page. I've posted a couple of stories there I don't mind not getting published.

There's also a rejection mini story I gave up on. Couldn't get it under 50 words.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Yea, LD, I didn't get the separate e-mail, only read the results in the newsletter. It appears that there is an issue with smishsmash for me. I'll give this one the weekend and then send a query to them.
Osiris
Member # 9196

In my experience with other magazines with online tracking systems, 'declined' means they do not want the story.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I would agree with the meaning of the word declined even though I have never seen it in a rejection E-mail. Hmm maybe once.

However, I believe we will know how we do way before we, over on the WotF Q4 thread will know about that contest.

And I would be surprised if at least one of us does get at least to the HMs. There are a couple good writers here and I think we all kept to the premise. Well, three of us anyway. I don't think I read the other two but there's a good chance they did too.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well I've had a on-going e-mail conversation with them and evidently they did get the flash fiction entry, it made the finals but wasn't selected. They apologized for me not getting the e-mail result.

One thing they did say working against it was they get a number that are kid's point of view that are either their imaginings or daydreams. Mine was in that vein and that probably cost me.

snapper
Member # 7299

Wow. Congrats, Ute. That meant you made the top 10%. I was sure my mini-entry had a shot. I was wrong.

Nice work. Hope you do better in the main contest.

BTW, expect answers around the tenth, everyone. I know from experience they read them as they come on, so the entries that were turned in at least a week before were read and teh better ones were set aside for the final decision.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Indeed congrats Ute.

With only 87, or was it 89, entries I thought mine would have a chance too but as usual I didn't get that far.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Thanks, but again not holding out much hope. I didn't get a lot of time to work on it given a busy schedule, computer problems and my incessant reworking of the WOTF entry. I think I got most of the comments from both of you in though, so we'll see.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Yep, just got my rejection today. I noticed the sample critique they posted was quite frank, yet respectful.

It convinced me to pay the $10 to get a critique of my story.

snapper
Member # 7299

Got the same mass email reject myself. I will be buying a critique myself and will share it with whoever wants to see it.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Of course mine didn't reach the finalist stage either.

Surprised that neither of yours did but we have one more chance, maybe two to get someone from here in.

Thought about paying the ten dollars for a critique.

snapper
Member # 7299

I sent in my money and critique request last night. I also wrote him an email to accompany it. Now the editor is a guy I've talked to quite a bit, so I could describe our relationship as more of a personal one. It allowed me to respond, in my usual charming yet thinly sarcastic style (okay thinly may be a stretch), to whine about my rejection (so cool when you can get away with that to an editor). He sent me back a very enlightening response. I liked it so much I requested permission to post excerpts of it here.

If anyone would like to know what it said, email me and I'll fill you in.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

Well mine didn't make it either.
snapper
Member # 7299

Tarl Kudrick, editor, has granted me premission to post excerpts of his email. I will omit the personal commentary on my writing but offer you this bit about his publication and the difficulty of selling to it.

quote:
The second thing working against you is, it's getting hard for ANYBODY to get into our magazine. In 14 published issues, we've had, what, five authors appear more than once? We've published something like 72 stories by somewhere around 67 different authors. Compare that to other magazines, in which the same authors show up again and again. More than that, every author we've published more than once (Ken Liu, Laura Loomis, you, Neil James Hudson, and somebody else I forget) have received at least one rejection letter AFTER having a story accepted by us. Ken, Laura, and Neil have all taken first place, and still had a story rejected by us after winning first place!

Why? Because we're dead serious about basing our judgments on stories, not authors. We might be the only fiction market where past success as a writer doesn't help you one bit. If Stephen King sends us an okay-but-not-great story for the next contest, his story isn't getting in. You think F&SF will say that? Even Ploughshares, a magazine known for its rotating guest editors (and therefore widely different kinds of stories in each issue), lets guest editors solicit up to half of each issue's works.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited October 10, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I was going to ask if you meant Tarl? I've e-mailed him a few times even though I've only entered a couple of contests. I have asked permission to posts excerpts from his Newsletter. He seems pretty nice.

But I'm not sure if their rules make it that much harder to get in. They don't go by the writer's name so pervious publishing or lack thereof doesn't matter but that doesn't influence how I write a story.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I just checked my submishmash account.
(Was waiting for an e-mail.)

My account is thus:

Submissions:
0 total results

Not having a good day over here.
Seems they didn't even get my story.

Guess it's not a rejection.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Correction.
I logged in with user and password instead of my FB account and it's a rejection.

Better luck next time.
Better luck next time.

Whoa, there's an echo in here.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Boy, that means none of us even made it to the finalist stage. That is a surprise. You guys had some good stories and I was sure the writing wasn't bad either.

There will be having another contest at the beginning of next month.

Osiris
Member # 9196

I received my critique from Tarl. It is helpful, and I'll see if he minds if I share some of it with you all if you are interested. It might be neat, in fact, if we all shared the critiques with each other so we can learn from each other. Anyone interested?
snapper
Member # 7299

I am in Osiris and I wouldn't worry about permission. You paid for it. It's yours to do with as you wish.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Sent, Snapper.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

I didn't ask for the critique, but I would be interested what they told you.
axeminister
Member # 8991

Ditto.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Sure guys, no problem. Will send it off now.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Me too
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey Osiris,

The email never came through. Would love to read it.

axeminister
Member # 8991

Ditto.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Ditto, ditto
Osiris
Member # 9196

Ugh, really? This is becoming a reoccurring problem with this e-mail account I set up for my writerly business. Okay, I'll resend in the morning, too sleepy right now.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Okay, I've sent to all three of you. Please tell me if you received it or not.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited October 15, 2011).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Got it. Don't know how you feel about it, but I found it spot on.
snapper
Member # 7299

Got my crit and sent it to the four people who sounded like they're interested in it.

If anyone else is dying to know why I wasn't a finalist let me know and I'll send it to you as well.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.