Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q04 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q04
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a critique group for writers that entered a story into the fourth quarter of 2012 in the Writers of the Future contest (29th year).

After the end of the quarter, entries submitted have been responded to as thus:

Honorable Mention:
Jennifer Hicks (JenniferHicks)
Anna Yeatts (A Yeatts)
Rebecca Birch (rabirch)
Frank Dutkiewicz (snapper)
James A. Hanzelka (Utahute72)
(Boone)

Congratulations to everyone that submitted!

If you participated in the group and got some kind of award for this quarter, let me know and I'll add you to the list.

These are our Woo-hoos!

(Original posts from the quarter shown below)

[ January 17, 2013, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: WriterDan ]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Holy nut-job, Batman. This guy must be crazy. It can't be that time already. We're still waiting on results from Quarter 1, for crying out loud!
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! You're right. We're still up in the air about Q1, and for those who haven't received word on their Q1 submission, it's nail-biting time.

Oh, BTW, I've sent in my Q3 piece (thank you fellow critiquers for thoughtful and helpful comments), and to keep my mind off Q1, I've started work on my Q4 piece. So, I'll start the list:

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've heard back about quarter one, but haven't sent in my Q3 entry, so I guess we're even.

mbwood
Utahute72

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to remind you!
But with the whole baby thing I was distracted. (yours, not mine.)
Huh?

I'm probably gonna sit this one out because I did around two dozen crits during Q3, so I'm looking for a break.

Plus, I've got nothing for Q4 yet, so I need to hunker down and focus a bit.

However, there's still time, so...

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm out this quarter. I had a great time working on my Q3 story (it should go out the door this weekend), but I want to focus on a different project for a while.

Success to you all!

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in!

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boone
Member # 9776

- posted      Profile for Boone   Email Boone         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in as well.

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

- posted      Profile for Strycher   Email Strycher         Edit/Delete Post 
WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone
Strycher

ETA: Have you guys ever done log line swaps in the past? I've got a couple "meh" ideas that I'd like to narrow down before I commit to a story.

[ June 15, 2012, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Strycher ]

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm in too. Hopefully that will force me to finish what I started this quarter. That makes it

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone
Strycher
Brendan

Strycher - Generally WriterDan splits up the group as the first draft deadline comes near, so we can have fresh eyes on later drafts and are not overloaded with work. However, that would be too late for what you propose, and I like the idea. It shouldn't be too much work, so I'll swap some loglines with you (and whoever else wants to join the fun).

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

Yeah, I don't think it's too time consuming. For anyone else who's interested:

You want to sum up your story in one to two sentences, including your protag, their goal, the antagonistic force, and maybe the genre.

Christopher Lockhart on Log Lines

Posts: 35 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone
Strycher
Brendan
LDWriter2

Mine's done. [Smile]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

Brendan, I e-mailed you.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Strycher, I'd swap a couple. Brenden, you too.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

And I've e-mailed you too. =)
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I said mine was done but I need to go back over it to see about adding more struggle--assuming the new guy likes struggle--and adding even more of the five senses.

Plus probably a number of other writing fixes.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you are done writing already? Ack! I'm about to punch some scientific journals and hope an idea squishes out for Q4.

Also, Louis, what are you talking about with the 5 senses? That's your most consistent crit of MY stuff. Surely you have plenty of it in your own.

I can't recall any specific examples, but I also can't recall that ever being a problem for you.

Besides, 98% of your scenes take place at night, so you could probably go easy on the visual stuff. [Smile]

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't going to participate this quarter, but I had a dream...

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone
Strycher
Brendan
LDWriter2
Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Also, Louis, what are you talking about with the 5 senses? That's your most consistent crit of MY stuff. Surely you have plenty of it in your own.

I can't recall any specific examples, but I also can't recall that ever being a problem for you.

Probably most consistent crit of most propels stuff. [Smile]

But this here story was written a bit ago, nigh onto five and a half to six and half years ago. 'Tis my first HM and I be thinking I'll give it another try.

quote:
Besides, 98% of your scenes take place at night, so you could probably go easy on the visual stuff.
Hmm, really? I need to check that out-not that it matters that much...but this one takes place in a busted war-spaceship. Himm, maybe add a scene with the lights going out. "Oops, knew I shouldn't have cut that red, light refacking, fiber optic power cable" "If I hadn't been drunk in my repair class I would have known it should have been the Mauve with Chartreuse stripes light refacing, fiber optic Comm cable. Now I'm going to have to find that invisible, luminescence pulse racing cable. And do it fast I think I smell Alpha Induced Spearmint gas they use in the Sublight Quasar-like Interstellar Drives. It always leaves a bad taste in my mouth I can't get rid of for days. And if too match of that gets concentrated around dead bodies it turns then into face eating zombies. Oh boy I fall asleep in the class about how to deal with face eating zombies created by heavy concentrations of Alpha Induced Spearmint gas..it wasn't my fault; the Prof was boring, it was early early and I stayed up late chatting and drink beer with an old buddy...What just drifted across my arm? Air from an open hatch? And what was that a footstep? OH OH."

Before anyone wonders my HM story does have a space ship but has nothing to do with zombies or Alpha Induced Spearmint gas or any type of gas etc..

[ June 25, 2012, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

greenroom
Member # 9692

- posted      Profile for greenroom   Email greenroom         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in for this quarter.

quote:

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone
Strycher
Brendan
LDWriter2
Owasm
Greenroom
[/QB]

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strycher
Member # 9821

Hmmm 1st drafts on July 14th, eh? Well, I've got 600 words . . . That's a start, right?

Do you guys actually start writing for the next quarter a month before the present quarter's deadline? It sounds fantastic to be that far ahead, but I think this is the first quarter where I started ahead at all. And I only started writing Q4 on the second to last day of Q3.

rabirch
Member # 9832

I've got about 1200 done. And a lot of critiquing to do in the meantime. To the typing-cave!
Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
And if too match of that gets concentrated around dead bodies it turns then into face eating zombies.
Oh boy now I've gone and done it. I had a few minutes so I relaxed which was a big mistake. My Not story this line came from came to mind and without asking me for permission my muse took it on. I thought out the next two scenes for this zombie tale before I realized what I was doing. Talk about being a writerholic .

Oh, great now I may have to actually write out the thing. The MC has rescued a girl--civilian he has no idea of how she got on the ship--and there's a half zombie blasting away with an automatic weapon. is he shooting at the Zombies or the MC and girl??? He will turn all the way soon and forget about the gun. I may have to finish it just to see if they escape and where that darn girl came from.

A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to join up for this quarter? If not, I'd like to jump in too.

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone
Strycher
Brendan
LDWriter2
Owasm
Greenroom
A Yeatts

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

It's beginning to look like I might actually have a draft done by the 14th. I was afraid for a bit there that it wasn't going to come together. I've got just over 3k words so far. Phew!
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm toying with the idea of submitting a story that got an HM last year again this year. New judge, different result? This story has gotten really good feedback from magazines in form of personal rejections, but hasn't been picked up. Some of you have read it before though. So, anyway:

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch
Boone
Strycher
Brendan
LDWriter2
Owasm
Greenroom
A Yeatts
mrmeadors

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

First draft is done! I'm looking forward to starting the critique process.

Also, I'm very grateful for this group and the deadline. There's nothing like a deadline to get me writing. =)

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Yay! I'm hoping to be done very soon too. But I need to do some repair work before I can send it out for critiques, otherwise people will think I'm on crack (like they don't already...). So then I will have two stories to choose from for this quarter. [Smile]
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boone
Member # 9776

I'm making my final tweaks. I 'll finish the 1st draft today.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Er, it's Friday the thirteenth and the good news is the first drafts are due out tomorrow... I wonder what the bad news is?

Are you ready? Are you really ready? Are you ready for / to do some kick-butt critiquing?

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

quote:
Originally posted by mbwood:
Er, it's Friday the thirteenth and the good news is the first drafts are due out tomorrow... I wonder what the bad news is?

Are you ready? Are you really ready? Are you ready for / to do some kick-butt critiquing?

Bring it ON!
rabirch
Member # 9832

The bad news for me is that I'll be on vacation (including a writing workshop) for over a week in there between first and second draft due dates. Good news is I already finished all the crits for the workshop, otherwise I'd be panicking right about now. I can only do so many at once!
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

I'm going to be on vacation from the 20-28 or so. But I should still be able to do the crits. My story might be a bit late, but NOT like the past couple of quarters where I kind of died. [Wink] At least I hope not. There's still always the chance of a family crisis, of course...but let's hope for the best!
greenroom
Member # 9692

quote:
Originally posted by mrmeadors:
But I need to do some repair work before I can send it out for critiques...

I finished my story a few weeks ago, but I also have some repair work to do -- possibly a lot of repair work -- before I'd feel comfortable sending it out. But that's what tomorrow is for, right?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Repair work? Oh, boy, does that sound ominous. Yeah, I guess all of our submissions require 'repair work,' 'cause nothing we submit is perfect... right? Please, please, repair my story... please!
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Grr.... I am SOO close yet, so far. I keep finding blanks in the story that need to be filled in. And I have a feeling I am going to have to rewrite a lot in this. I must press on!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have to go back over my story one more time to find some of the nitpicks but other than that it's ready.

But as to repair work, we all need it, some more than others but

It's not up to critters to do the repairing--they just point out the broken parts we need to do the repairing... [Smile]

rabirch
Member # 9832

I'm satisfied with my story *as a first draft*. It's got more work to be done, and I know it, but it's got beginning, middle, and an end, so there's something there to work with.
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

yes, exactly... mine has holes, so I have to keep working. There is also some extra stuff in there. Too many words [Wink]
greenroom
Member # 9692

So I haven't done this before. Do we get split into groups of people we are supposed to send our story to?

[ July 15, 2012, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: greenroom ]

rabirch
Member # 9832

I think so, greenroom. I'm ready press send and get critting!

I'm a little wound up. [Big Grin] I love story-buzz.

axeminister
Member # 8991

WriterDan usually comes in and sets up the groups, but he's busy with being awesome elsewhere...

WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch

Boone
Strycher
Brendan
LDWriter2

Owasm
Greenroom
A Yeatts
mrmeadors

I'll e-mail him and see if he'll come in and set everyone up.

Axe

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine will be a day or two late. I'm busy trying to not to go through withdrawal...in other words I'm writing new stuff before I start screaming and/or getting cranky.
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

I'm screaming and getting cranky, and my story will be a bit late too. Hopefully by the end of the week you'l see something that resembles a story from me.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Okay, here we are, and here I am. Finally. Moved residences two weeks ago and between moving in (which is WAY more than just relocating our "stuff") and trying to get someone to come set up my freaking internet, I've pretty much been a basket case. To say the least, I'm about another week out on finishing my story for the quarter. But it's coming.

Here's groups for this round of crits (we'll go with Axe's suggestions from above, as they're so nicey and stuff...):

Group 1:
WriterDan
mbwood
UtahUte72
rabirch

Group 2:
Boone
Strycher
Brendan
LDWriter2

Group 3:
Owasm
Greenroom
A Yeatts
mrmeadors

So, for this round. Everyone swap within your group (aka, send your story to everyone in the group you're listed in). To make things simple, PLEASE review the crit suggestions from my first post in this discussion thread. I'll explain how things will go for the next round once we get there.

Here's to hoping for the best this time around. I feel like I've been out of the contest/writing loop for forever, but I'm committed to getting a story in this quarter. I hope everyone else is too. [Smile]

Laters.

mbwood
Member # 9525

Okay, I've sent my story off to WriterDan, UtahUte2 & RABirch. Please send me your stories and I'll get right on it.
rabirch
Member # 9832

Mine's off as well. Yay!

WriterDan, I hope things settle down for you soon.

Boone
Member # 9776

Mine is out. [Smile]
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running a tad bit late this quarter but I'll get mine out soon.
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenroom
Member # 9692

I just sent mine off to the people in my group. If you don't get it, please let me know. Or even if you do get it, let me know so I don't worry its lurking in your spam folders!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.