Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 6/20 - 6/26

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 6/20 - 6/26
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me.

Last Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM: Wait out the latest request and a couple of recent queries. After that, I'll probably try a small publisher.
Still waiting. [Frown]

MAGIC AND POWER: Send out a couple of queries. CORRECTED: I need to do one of those evil synopses, first.
Yeah. Synopsis. I've got four words so far. [Wink]

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE: Plan for a July launch.
Need to seriously get on this. [Smile]

DREAMER'S ROSE: Pause, for now.
Easy one. [Smile]

THE IGNORED PROPHECY: Finish re-reading the progress to date and start forward.
Well, I found some stuff in the last few chapters I thought I'd done that needed work. I'm working on that. Then move forward. [Smile]

WEIRD OZ: This one is turning back up on my radar. I've finally started to get some new ideas on how to fix it. For now, just jot those ideas down as they come and let them percolate.
Easy one. [Smile]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Actually three times this week. (The third was a review.) [Smile]

Next Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM:
Wait out the latest request and a couple of recent queries. After that, I'll probably try a small publisher.

MAGIC AND POWER:
Write the synopsis.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE:
Plan for a July launch.

DREAMER'S ROSE:
Pause, for now.

THE IGNORED PROPHECY:
Finish reworking the chapters I'd "finished" and start forward.

WEIRD OZ:
I've finally started to get some new ideas on how to fix this one. For now, just jot those ideas down as they come and let them percolate.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
In the NSG last week I listed my current WIP’s and said I have a lot of multitasking to do for that week. Well, I’ve found out that I really suck at multitasking. Slow and steady wins the race and one step at a time, that’s me--apparently. So, here’s what I did last week and what I’ve mapped out to do this week, perhaps.

Jack Rayne
I finally came up with a technologically plausible method for getting the remaining population of Earth into underground cities in a reasonable timeframe. Cities may be a misnomer, call it habitation.

This coming week I want to try and start writing the 30-year long back-story of the milieu up to the point where the actual story I’m writing starts. In thinking about all this I realised this is going to give me fertile ground for a whole slew of short stories and novels into the future. Yum!

Æsir Dawn
Spent time refining the ‘universe’ this story is set in; there are no planets, solar systems or galaxies, just a single landmass in the middle of a sea. Then I started thinking about my pantheon of Gods. There’s the progenitor and then there are his children, I settled on three, a Trinity is always nice, two boys and a girl.

This coming week I want to explore their ‘Powers’. What makes them Gods and what can they do? I also want to start exploring the dynamics between all three ‘children’ and between each of them and their ‘Father’, both collectively and individually.

Daisyworld
Spent time trying to define the details of what my protagonist, Kara, is. In a nutshell, she’s a possible extinction event personified, depends on whether she ‘goes off’ or not. Using a gun metaphor, at the beginning of the story she’s loaded but not yet cocked and she’s completely unaware of this actuality; and it’s starting to bug her.

This coming week I want to think about how, well, um, err, how, um, the abilities she has manifest themselves in her mind and how this affects her physically and emotionally. As you can tell, this is all a bit nebulous at the moment.

Falcon’s Wings
This is dependant on what happens in Æsir Dawn, and how, and the legend that is thus created. I’m going to need details before I can start thinking about this. So, Falcon’s Wings is on hold for the foreseeable future--unless epiphany strikes.

The Gryphon Throne
Well, you know, there’re only so many hours in a day and I do have to work and cook to feed myself.

Hel’s Journey
Ditto

Ask Not
Ditto

Phil.

[ June 21, 2014, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.