Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Flash Fiction Challenge Support Group

Author Topic: Flash Fiction Challenge Support Group
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is for mutual support through the Flash Fiction Challenge, which is here:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/writers/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000238

Following Hatrack's ethos of learning by participating, please only post to this group if you are participating in the challenge.

Thanks,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm learning already, I think.

I'm going to offer a story in the challenge, but we won't vote on it. (Because having invented the triggers, there's a risk they might favour my taste, or lack thereof.) If it gets one or two crits, I'll be grateful.

But here's what I learned following the discussion on in media res.

I have a great first 13 lines from a challenge from way back, never got to write the story. It happens to be in media res. I was trying to write the story last week, and decided it needed so many flashbacks I really needed to start the story earlier.

But, I like the first 13. So I wondered how to stick with the in media res start and write the story without flashbacks, like extrinsic suggested. (I'm fine with flashbacks when they're done in a fashion that appeals to me, but in this story, and bearing in mind it's flash fiction, a flashback would kill its pace.)

I've realized that if I keep the start, change the plot and a couple of characters, and add a repository of knowledge, I might be able to do it. So I'm delighted that the triggers are working for me as they are supposed to - helping me create a story.

Whether we go with the challenge or not, I'm writing it anyhow.

I'm using two of the triggers and, at my age, it won't be hard to introduce a nasty pong. I doubt there's room for a child of power but one might emerge... for me, a story-writing adventure starts once more...

And I'll look forward to one or two Hatrackers telling me if, for them, it works.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Anyone else started?

I wrote a first draft last week.

At 1400 words it's too big. The fantasy world is hard to sketch in just a few words, and all three main characters are determined to be in the story :{

But the good news is I used one, maybe two triggers, and managed to get it drafted.

I plan to focus my mind on its key elements by making it fit 1000 words, then next year maybe expand it to a larger story if the basic concepts and characters seem to work...

Pat

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Came up with an idea in the shower this morning. No words on paper other than a couple quick notes jotted down, but that's a start.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
besimirch
Member # 10288

- posted      Profile for besimirch   Email besimirch         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting mine now. Only one of the triggers in mine, but looking forward to writing it.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.