Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 2/13 - 2/19

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 2/13 - 2/19
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me.

Last Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM: Hold until after I have a draft of Book 3 of the Dual Magics series.
Easy one. [Smile]

DAUGHTER OF THE DISGRACED KING (Formerly MAGIC AND POWER): Hold off on queries while I decide whether to self publish.
Another easy one. [Smile]

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY: Assess the results of the promotion on SciFiFantasyFreak.com
Not good. [Frown]

BEYOND THE PROPHECY (Briefly PATHS OF CHAOS): Finish Chapter 27 (I have a fight scene coming up) and three more chapters--28, 29, 30.
I've actually just started Chapter 31. [Smile]

"Modgud Gold": Tie-in story to the DUAL MAGICS series. Continue revision. I'd like to have this one ready to publish sometime in the Spring.
Not yet. [Frown]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes. [Smile]

Next Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM:
Hold until after I have a draft of Book 3 of the Dual Magics series.

DAUGHTER OF THE DISGRACED KING (Formerly MAGIC AND POWER):
Hold off on queries while I decide whether to self publish.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY:
Hope sales rebound after the promotion on SciFiFantasyFreak.com. They haven't so far.

BEYOND THE PROPHECY (Briefly PATHS OF CHAOS):
Chapters 31, 32, and 33.

"Modgud Gold":
Tie-in story to the DUAL MAGICS series. Continue revision. I'd like to have this one ready to publish sometime in the spring or early summer.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm deluding myself, or just crazy, but after taking a DWS workshop called "Ideas to Story" I wrote an opening for a novel, per the week five assignment.

It's a sequel to a novel I've had 95% written for many years, before I sidetracked to the WotF obsession.

But I never figured I'd start the sequel till the first one was done, perfect, not a word out of place.

Wrong. And that's part of what the workshop taught me, was that it's OK to just write.

So I'd like to keep going, but without the obsession that writing a novel usually brings. i.e. can't work on anything else.

My goal: 7 pages a week.

If I can do that, I'll finish by the end of the year, and I'll have a novel where I once had nothing. [Smile]

So, after a week, I'm on page 7. Here's hoping the trend continues!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
A novel concerning the founding of The Factory, perhaps, Axe? [Smile]
Or something new?

A page or 250 words(12 pt Dbl space) per day. Seems eminently doable--although as yet unachievable for binge writers like me.

Go for it, Axe!

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Bob,

I am indeed (forever) working on my five-part Factory novel. Currently, the founding of story is in Alpha. I appreciate your interest. It's exciting to think someone out there actually notices such things.

But the above is in my true/paranormal crime series. I say series, because I have one on paper, and the next two in my head. So starting the second one is a major step. Also, I *love* the first scene. It's about a character I created around fifteen years ago that a recent epiphany told me to put in the crime sequel. He's going to fit in perfectly there.

Yeah, I figure 250 a day, without the pressure to specifically write one a day. So, 750 one day, two days off, etc. So long as I can report seven pages here next week, and the week after that, I'm happy.

It's been so long since I've written a novel, that the idea of going past page 50 is as foreign as me visiting the moon.

You might actually hear my cheer of exultation all the way up in Maine when I reach page 51. [Wink]

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:
Dr. Bob,

I am indeed (forever) working on my five-part Factory novel. Currently, the founding of story is in Alpha. I appreciate your interest. It's exciting to think someone out there actually notices such things.

But the above is in my true/paranormal crime series. I say series, because I have one on paper, and the next two in my head. So starting the second one is a major step. Also, I *love* the first scene. It's about a character I created around fifteen years ago that a recent epiphany told me to put in the crime sequel. He's going to fit in perfectly there.

Yeah, I figure 250 a day, without the pressure to specifically write one a day. So, 750 one day, two days off, etc. So long as I can report seven pages here next week, and the week after that, I'm happy.

It's been so long since I've written a novel, that the idea of going past page 50 is as foreign as me visiting the moon.

You might actually hear my cheer of exultation all the way up in Maine when I reach page 51. [Wink]

Axe

page 51?

Hell, most of my "short" stories are longer than that. [Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.