Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 7/10 - 7/16

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 7/10 - 7/16
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM: Start thinking about the next step.
Still thinking. [Frown]

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY: THE SHAMAN'S CURSE will be on sale for $0.99 on the 6th thru the 8th to celebrate it's first anniversary.
Promotion over. Not as successful as I would have liked. [Frown]

BEYOND THE PROPHECY: Make revision notes. Start the revision. Continue working on the blurb.
Revision started. [Smile]

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4): lace on hold for the revisions to BEYOND THE PROPHECY.
Easy one. [Smile]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Next Week's Goals:

MAGE STORM:
Think about the next step.

THE SHAMAN'S CURSE/THE VOICE OF PROPHECY:
Nothing for this week.

BEYOND THE PROPHECY:
Continue revision with a goal of two chapters a day. That'll take me thru Chapter 22 if I make it.

MAGIC'S WARRIOR (temporary working title of DUAL MAGICS Book 4): On hold for the revisions to BEYOND THE PROPHECY.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out how I want to outline my novel, and am in the process of doing so. It's taking longer than I'd hoped (I'm still stuck on what to do with the entire middle of the story) but at least I'm making progress.

My goal for next week is to have a completed enough outline that I can start the actual writing.

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of goals met, here be the unfolding of a tale; with desires for future enlightenment laid bare.

Wednesday:

Got the first idea for a real story in almost two years. Hooray for endocrinologists. Started to develop basic concepts for milieu, plot, and character. The main character is, as Nigel Molesworth would describe, “Wet and weedy and a uter twerp!” What else could you expect from a character with the name of Bartholomew Prinn? Recalled a radio segment that reinforced my ideas for the milieu, Hikikomri: basically an urban recluse who lives in his room, sometimes for years, never coming out.

Thursday:

Further developed milieu: went from J-Pop to K-Pop and ended up with A-Pop Fusion for culture and clothing and A-Pop Deco for design and architecture. All a heavy Asian take on western iconography and design. Also started to develop the story’s premise and delve a bit more deeply into the character. A recluse who has a secret passion, night flying at 3.30 am. Solidified the plot into a three-strikes and you’re out chase story.

Friday:

A much deeper exploration of Prinn’s character. An isolated, paranoid, insecure, reclusive loner. Need to do much more research on his phobias and how they might manifest themselves. Finally came up with the idea that, being set three tests, he fails the first one because of himself, he fails the other two because he is being set up to fail. Finally came up with the concept for the machine Prinn flies at night. It’s called the Lurker, a stealth urban recon and intervention vehicle. A reflection of Prinn’s own personality.

Saturday:

Got into starting a proper plot outline. Still need to do lots more work on Prinn’s character and the milieu. Haven’t though much about the antagonist yet. Arrrrgh!

Goals for next week:

1. Decide on and develop the three tests Prinn will have to face and how he fails each of them.

2. Work on Prinn’s character.

3. Work on the Lurker concept. A really cool flying machine: a counterpoint and a indication of Prinn’s possibilities at the same time.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.