Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 6/2 - 6/8

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 6/2 - 6/8
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

DUAL MAGICS SERIES (THE SHAMAN'S CURSE, THE VOICE OF PROPHECY, BEYOND THE PROPHECY,and WAR OF MAGIC): Nothing this week unless the revisions to the audio book come back.
Still no audio revisons. [Frown]

Refresh existing catalog: Go back through my back list and add the link to BECOME: BROTHERS
Combined with wide distribution--so, barely begun, but at least started. [Smile]

BECOME: BROTHERS: Promote on social media.
A little. [Smile]

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING: Either get back to work on this one or choose something else to work on while my enthusiasm for this story rebuilds.
Nothing either way this week. [Smile]

MAGE STORM: Probably nothing this week.
Good call. [Smile]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes. [Smile]

Research the best way to return to wide distribution when I can pull my books out of Kindle Select. Page flip is a deal breaker for me.
Yes. And started. [Big Grin]

Next Week's Goals:

DUAL MAGICS SERIES (THE SHAMAN'S CURSE, THE VOICE OF PROPHECY, BEYOND THE PROPHECY,and WAR OF MAGIC):
Nothing this week unless the revisions to the audio book come back.

Continue process of taking my books from exclusive to Amazon to a wider distribution. Currently, I'm using Pronoun, but I expect to try Draft2Digital for some of them, too. Refresh existing catalog, including links to BECOME: BROTHERS as I go.

BECOME: BROTHERS:
Promote on social media.

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING:
May remain on hold for a week or two while I work through the above.

MAGE STORM:
Probably nothing this week.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Not much. I worked on that steampunk-dragonpunk thing which needs a name.

And a touch on the revision of Journey of Mystery and a touch on the new revision of The Courier.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been bad and focused on other projects, but I've been letting the novel simmer. I'm planning to get back to it this week after I finish the short story draft I'm working on.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ascent of a Man – Flash fiction, 1,000-1,200 words.

Last weeks goals:

Create the setting (Hell)
Write the Lord of Lies grand entrance

Well, I pretty much nailed describing the setting; although there are some tweaks needed and the prose needs seasoning. That means I need to look at rhythm and pacing.

I’ve sketched out His Lowliness’ entrance but am stuck on the original Hebrew or the bastardised Latin name for ‘HIM’ before The Fall. A choice between the Morning Star and The Bringer of Light. Ugggh!!!

This weeks goal:

This is where life gets really interesting. The story is plotted out so that the first third is the set-up (done!), the next half is the gag, and the last sixth is the pay-off. I am now at the pointy end of the story – the contest between Jonas and Satan for Jonas’ future.

And here’s the trick: I have at least five different paths this contest can take without even trying to think about it; all with different destinations. This is going to take a lot of planning for me to get where I want, in the way I want, with the resolution I want.

I could be at this one task for weeks. Which is probably why I've started procrastinating over the last few days.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few tricks I know to get past things like that. One is to start freewriting notes to yourself in order to help determine exactly what you want to do. Another is to find someone you can talk story with and brainstorm (the freewriting kind of mimics this process, but the only input you have is your own, which can be good or bad depending on circumstances). There's always the option of outlining all the potential options and outcomes, and if that doesn't help narrow things down you could always write all the disparate versions and see which one you like best. (Personally, I dislike having to do that much extra work, but if it needs to happen it needs to happen.)

In any case, good luck and keep writing! [Smile]

Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will Blathe
Member # 10300

- posted      Profile for Will Blathe           Edit/Delete Post 
My goals for Tea & Flowers:

Play with Scene/Sequel in writing mini-bits for learning about the characters.

This week, I'm being purposefully less ambitious.

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry DP, I'll be doing all that and more. The whiteboard and low lights, plus the thought generating playlist and copious amounts of chateau cardboard should get the creative juices flowing.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

Success! I now have a framework on which to build a contest and a resolution. And, it didn't even require a 3am drunken stagger to a cold and lonely bed. Maybe next time.

Phil.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.