Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Novel Support Group 4/13 - 4/19

Author Topic: Novel Support Group 4/13 - 4/19
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Welcome to this week's Novel Support Group. Anyone can join. If you're new, tell us a bit about who you are and what project you are working on. Feel free to update the NSG Work in Progress thread with your current projects. Although we can report on any number of things, here is a list of suggestions (suggestions welcomed).

What were your goals last week and did you accomplish them?
Describe what you worked on.
Set goals for next week.
Did you learn something during this week?

Here is a list of things that you can do each week as we work on our novels (suggestions welcomed).

Writing on a novel
Characterization
World Building
Relevant research

=-=-=-=-=

As for me:

Last Week's Goals:

DUAL MAGICS SERIES (THE SHAMAN'S CURSE, THE VOICE OF PROPHECY, BEYOND THE PROPHECY, and WAR OF MAGIC): Complete at least the next step to set up a mailing list.
Nope. Need to rethink my approach to this, I think. [Frown]

DUAL MAGICS SERIES: As time permits, go through the x-ray listings for the Dual Magics boxed set and THE BARD'S GIFT.
Nope. [Frown]

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING: The first critique is back, but I'm going strong on the sequel right now, so I'll let it wait a little longer.
Still waiting on another critique. And still continuing with the sequel. [Smile]

BECOME: TO RIDE THE STORM: Continue the first draft.
Yes. [Big Grin]

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.
Yes. [Smile]

Next Week's Goals:

MAILING LIST:
Rethink my approach to this. I think I need to find something that works for me rather than shoehorn myself into something that's obviously not working.

DUAL MAGICS SERIES:
As time permits, go through the x-ray listings for the Dual Magics boxed set and THE BARD'S GIFT.

BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING:
I expect the last critique soon. Then on to the final revisions.

BECOME: TO RIDE THE STORM:
Continue the first draft. Try to get to the half-way point.

OTHER:
Update my blog twice a week.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Stalled farther into this project than previous ones, and proven workable strategies from before to reinvigorate progress unhelpful this time. Occasion for new strategies from the wings of another project in infancy at the back burner; that is, pre-position signal dramatic pivot setups for later and escalate those forward to their dramatic debut moments -- dramatic irony premises. Those are given "air time" early on, therefore, they must be relevant and dramatic sooner or later. Maybe a more dramatic start wanted, too, for starters, not, per se, a spectacle sensation start so much as a gut-cutter wrench.

Traditional publisher mailing list practices entail two basic marketing strategies: involve and invest writers in self-promotion to family, friends, and acquaintances, and capture an otherwise unknowable contact and catalog addressee list for other content marketing. Both can come across as invasive and -- well, unseemly desperate. If instead the self-promotion comes across as incidental to other communication that recipients might consider worthwhile and the marketing a soft-sell, understated, that is, and arouses curiosity and buzz, that's a marketing bonanza. Say a link in an email to a web page that likewise contains worthwhile content.

My kin and kith and acquaintances do not read much. My best, successful strategy for letting them know of a product release has been a gentle teaser to a few that starts a word-of-mouth whisper campaign, arouses curiosity, gives them a rumor and gossip topic about moi to banter about behind my back, best scandalous and controversial, if perhaps not particularly about me, then a follow-up mass notice with further detail and resource locators, and nonetheless leaves them wanting more from individualized personal interaction to satisfy their curiosity.

"Cold-call" mailings -- a whole other marketing plan there. If eighty percent of the effects come from twenty percent of the causes and twenty percent of the effects come from eighty percent of the causes (Pareto Principle), re: marketing buzz outcome effects, marketing resource and effort causes; a cold-call mailing list mass spray entails likewise otherwise worthwhile content and the product marketing content is incidental yet both for a broader and more indifferent or outright dispassionate audience. The difference is knowing persuasion is seduction and manipulation is assault, and what authentic content persuades the audience to consider and promote buzz about the product.

[ April 14, 2018, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Working on advertising the Courier.

Worked on last section of Lance Starhammer. I thought I was almost done but then thought after that last battle he wasn't injured enough nor was his ship damaged enough. So now he has to spend time in what I call the med chair. I need to add references to it in a couple of earlier segments.

Still waiting on a beta reader for Journey and deciding what else to do.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.