Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Author Topic: Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The grandmother didn’t want to go to Florida. She wanted to visit some of her connections in east Tennessee and she was seizing at every chance to change Bailey’s mind. Bailey was the son she lived with, her only boy. He was sitting on the edge of his chair at the table, bent over the orange sports section of the Journal. “Now look here, Bailey,” she said, “see here, read this,” and she stood with one hand on her thin hip and the other rattling the newspaper at his bald head. “Here this fellow that calls himself The Misfit is aloose from the Federal Pen and headed toward Florida and you read what it says he did to these people. Just you read it. I wouldn’t take my children in any direction with a criminal like that aloose in it. I couldn’t answer to my conscience if I did.”

1. I love the language. There’s no strange dialect, but you know by the vocabulary (e.g., the word “connections”) that these are southerners.

2. I love the potential for extreme violence: the family is going to where The Misfit is said to be wandering about.

3. And I love O’Connor’s depiction of the grandmother. A perfect example of how her thoughts and words conflict. Her thoughts tell us she wants to go to east Tennessee. But her words are (supposedly) warning her son about The Misfit. It’s obvious, I think, that she isn’t the least bit concerned about the Misfit and the potential for violence as she is about getting her only son to take her to visit her connections in east Tennessee.

Probably the only thing I don't like about it is that it's one giant paragraph. It'd be a lot easier to read if it were broken up. Nevertheless, it's one hell of an opening.

A hook all the way.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited February 11, 2004).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree. The language and flow of this is great. I love stories like this. I am going to have to get a copy. Is it a short story?

I think you pegged this one, good find! This resembles somthing I wrote about a year ago, or flip that.

HOOK most definately!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a short story, and its one of her most famous short stories. It's in her collection of short stories entitled A Good Man is Hard to Find, but I'd suspect that it'd be in any collection of her work. Your local library should have it.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like it as much as you two seem to.

Being British, I don't really get the language thing... but then I know practically nothing of how language use varies through America other than in terms of the gross sounds of the dialects.

I find the writing style a little distant, and agree that having all of that in one paragraph is confusing.

I would keep reading, if only to find out more about the Misfit and why he's so remarkable -- actually, is the story set back in time? I know next to nothing about the author... when was it written?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
On a re-read, the word "aloose" definitely works in terms of the language - I just didn't get "connections" which Balthasar picked up on.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
LINE

I agrew with Balthasar about the language. In fact, when I see people throwing contractions all over the place and I explain that word choice will provide a much better effect, this is EXACTLY what I mean.

I also like the grandmother, her motives are unclear but I would read further to get into her. And I do want to know what this Misfit chracter did.

That said, I'm not completely sold based on this paragraph and I can't even explain why. I think it's just a personal perference thing. At the moment this doesn't feel like the kind of story I would prefer to spend my time reading. I would keep reading for a while, give it a chance to really hook me, but from this paragraph all I can say is sure, I'd keep reading a little further.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Vall
Member # 1905

- posted      Profile for Jerome Vall           Edit/Delete Post 
HOOK.

I'm a big Flannery O'Connor fan as well, and I echo Balthasar -- this is one of her best.

[This message has been edited by Jerome Vall (edited February 11, 2004).]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Line, for me. This could be an interesting story of family dymanics and the Misfit, but I haven't been sucked into it yet.

The one big, rambling paragraph was the part the turned me off. There is a nice use of language, and I did hear the South, in the dialog particulary. That is the way to do dialict, with word choice and cadence, which is effective, but not painful.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited February 11, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
LINE

It's not bad, but it just doesn't grab my interest for some reason.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's a short story, Line. Had it been a novel, I'd have said Stinker. I wouldn't care to read a whole book of that sort of run-on text, but I wouldn't mind sampling it for a short period.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
lindsay
Member # 1741

- posted      Profile for lindsay   Email lindsay         Edit/Delete Post 
A hook for me. I love her work as well - disturbing, very real, *always* surprising! Life at its lovliest...as well as its most heartbreaking, all rolled up into fat stories that stay in my mind.

As for the long paragraph, I liked it; it pulled me and bumped me along. I like the mix of dialogue right up against body gestures right up against foreshadowing right up against character building.

A writer writing - just boom, boom, boom.

Yes, definitely a hook for me!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.