Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » One I couldn't resist...

Author Topic: One I couldn't resist...
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I saw the title of this story, I was hooked...

The Wages of Syntax by Ray Vukcevich

quote:

Shoot him.

Poison him.

Feed him to the alligators. Tie him up first. Make sure the alligators are really really hungry. Don't feed them for weeks. Wait until they're so hungry you've got to poke them back into their scummy concrete pond with a big stick.

Smother him.

Run over him with your car, and if you get caught, claim it was an accident. Be distraught. Cry real tears. My god, my god.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Very amusing. I'm wavering between hook and line on this one. I would definitely want to keep going to see what all this is about, but from this opening I expect the rest of the story to follow in the same light, amusing pattern.

OK, yeah, I'm hooked. I just decided. This is good.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, forgot to post the link.

Anyone who wants to keep reading can find it online here:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/originals/originals_archive/vukcevich2/vukcevich21.html

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I read that. The intro was good, but it went on waaayyyy too long and then the actual story was only ok.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Hook, as I would keep reading for a while, with an amused smile on my face. This kind of opening, however, should, imo, lead to the plot very quickly, or the reader will get bored.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm hooked for at least the first page or two, but it would have to stay interesting after this quirky introduction.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess since I read the intro then saw the link and immediately clicked on it, it must have been a hook for me too. First chapter does go on a bit but at least he breaks it up with little descriptions of some of the more bizarre methods of killing him.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Hook. It's quirky and strange, in an engaging way. A sense of humor is there right below the surface.

But I'm pretty biased as well. I've read a lot of Ray Vukcevich's stories, all of which are quirky and strange in (usually, although a few have been too strange) engaging ways, and will read any new ones on contact.
If you find you like the world of Ray Vukcevich, try Whispers, originaly published in F&SF, and in his anthology Meet Me in the Moon Room, which I found to be overall fantastic.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited February 11, 2004).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Vall
Member # 1905

- posted      Profile for Jerome Vall           Edit/Delete Post 
STINKER! I would never read this story.

I'm generally turned off by stories that start with really strange openings (like this one), and I'm very leery of any story that have first lines that drops like an A-Bomb (like this one). I liked to be lulled into the fictional dream, not yanked in and knocked over the head.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with Jules here. The title sold me.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say LINE on this one, I didn't hate it. A little too corny. It did bring to mind A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the song about kidnapping Sandy Claws. I love that Movie!
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
I went and read the story. So I think this would qualify as a hook for me.
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
PE_Sharp
Member # 1654

- posted      Profile for PE_Sharp   Email PE_Sharp         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say hook.

Though I can see it is not the most serious or sober sounding prose, and I know that this approach does turn off a certain number of people. I have no such requirement in my fictional tastes (if that makes any sense .)

I have saved the story and it is right next to a Story by Lucius Shepard also from scifi.com. He is so hyped and so prolific, I have to read something by him, I am terribly curious.

Oh yeah and on the topic of the above story, it kind of reminded me of Carl Hiasen (sp?) A writer my wife has a few books of.

PE Sharp

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gen
Member # 1868

- posted      Profile for Gen   Email Gen         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone's curious... Wages of Suntax just made it to the final Nebula ballot (novellete).
Posts: 253 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.