Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Dry, crisp, and airy . . . like pork rinds

Author Topic: Dry, crisp, and airy . . . like pork rinds
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
"IN THE YEAR 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army. Having completed my studies there, I was duly attached to the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers as assistant surgeon. The regiment was stationed in India at the time, and before I could join it, the second Afghan war had broken out. On landing at Bombay, I learned that my corps had advanced through the passes, and was already deep in the enemy's country. I followed, however, with many other officers who were in the same situation as myself, and succeeded in reaching Candahar in safety, where I found my regiment, and at once entered upon my new duties.

The campaign brought honours and promotion to many, but for me it had nothing but misfortune and disaster. I was removed from my brigade and attached to the Berkshires, with whom I served at the fatal battle of Maiwand. . There I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery."

Rather dry, but a FANTASTIC book. It's the beginning of the first Sherlock Holmes story, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
ccwbass
Member # 1850

- posted      Profile for ccwbass   Email ccwbass         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dry like pork rinds."

Dude - that's gold.

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy all the Holmes stories, though I haven't read Baskervilles yet.

Still, I think of this as a line. The Holmes stories have many admirable qualities, but I've never thought of their hooks as being their strong points.

I take that back. I think one of them did have a good hook. I can't remember it's title, but in the opening Watson promises that Holmes will be confounded by a woman before the story is over. That was an excellent hook, as I recall.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Dry. Not just pork rind dry, but more like you found the remains of Moses in the desert and dug them up yesterday.

If you took out the "IN THE YEAR 1878", it would sound like a letter from the front or something. You know, Johnny writing his family about where he is staioned and what is going on etc...

I just don't get it, this is boring. If it went on like this, I'd slit my wrists and do push-ups in salt water!
STINKER

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc, I can't reach my Complete Sherlock Holmes (or whatever the actual title is), but I believe the one with the woman who confounded Holmes is entitled "A Scandal in Bohemia" and the woman is Irene Adler.

(And I'm just showing off here.)

I have a theory that the hook of the first Sherlock Holmes story wasn't what brought in the readers. I believe that there must have been some hype about the content of the story, and that was what got people interested in reading it.

By the way, Watson's war wound moved from his shoulder to his leg in other stories (and has caused a great deal of discussion among Holmes fans).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Vall
Member # 1905

- posted      Profile for Jerome Vall           Edit/Delete Post 
A problem with this discussion is that were looking at a 19th century story with 21st century eyes. It's rather unfair to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, dontcha think?

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.