Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Snow Crash

Author Topic: Snow Crash
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The best hook I've ever seen is Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash.

Amazon gives away about 10 pages for free. You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0553380958/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-6789465-6954445#reader-page

I encourage all aspiring writers to read those first few pages. Every word is brilliant. What hooked me in particular was the description of the car from page two:

quote:
The Deliverator's car has enough potential energy in its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the asteroid belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator's car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deliverator puts the hammer down, shit happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car's tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The Deliverator's car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady's thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

How I would love to write like that!

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

If you happen to read the Amazon sample, I'd like your opinions of the meaning of the third sentence of the sixth paragraph. It says:

quote:
He is a roll model.

Note that the word is not role model, but roll model. Do you believe this is a typo that has survived 4 printings? If not, what meaning of the word roll do you think Stephenson meant.

I have a theory, but I'd like to hear yours.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited February 23, 2004).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I had trouble getting through the one paragraph. Definitely a Stinker for me on subject matter alone. I don't relate. (Like I've said before, writing has such a subjective aspect it's a real crapshoot. )

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 23, 2004).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

- posted      Profile for Fire-Bringer   Email Fire-Bringer         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc,

I beleive that the author is prematurely referring to the Deliverator (the reader does not really know who or what a Deliverator is, specifically)in such a way as to give the reader the idea that he is the best of the best and is punning roll/role in that vein.

-F

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

That's a pretty cool way to look at it, Fire-Bringer. What definition of roll do you think the author intends?

My take: I think he's comparing the Deliverator to thunder. Thunder rolls, the Deliverator rolls. That's the image that this bit of writing brought to my mind.

Fire-Bringer
Member # 1856

- posted      Profile for Fire-Bringer   Email Fire-Bringer         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the level of wit with which the author writes, I am fairly certain he means both definitions. Roll applies to being a driver, role in that he is what other drivers aspire to be. Both cases apply to the driver.

As a side note, I like the way his prose is loose and off-the-cuff, yet still cohesive. The intensity of the language is not common in most writing - The only two authors who come to mind when I think of this peice, stylistically speaking, are Palahniuk (sp?) (the guy who wrote Fight Club) and Hunter S.Thompson (Hell's Angels, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas). Have you read either of them?

-F

[This message has been edited by Fire-Bringer (edited February 26, 2004).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vend
Member # 1816

- posted      Profile for Nick Vend   Email Nick Vend         Edit/Delete Post 
In this openning section, his car is so important the roll reference made me think back to his tires. The whole section is about movement - high speed pizza delivery and moving North Dakota to New Zealand. The feeling is keep driving, keep moving, take it as it comes, roll with the punches, roll of the dice, etc etc. He keeps moving while the rest of the people mentioned in the section just sit there and wait for their deliveries.

I liked the style. I don't know if I'd like it for a whole novel, but I'd give it a shot anyway.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.