Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Sparks' Style

Author Topic: Sparks' Style
Gizzmo0411
Member # 1928

- posted      Profile for Gizzmo0411   Email Gizzmo0411         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was seventeen my life changed forever.

I know that there are people who wonder about me when I say this. They look at me strangely as if trying to fathom what could have happened back then, though I seldom bother to explain. Because I've lived here for most of my life, I don't feel that I have to unless it's on my terms, and that would take more time than most people are willing to give me. My story can't be summed up in two or three sentences; it can't be packaged into something neat and simple that people would imediately understand. Despite the passage of forty years, the people still living here who knew me that year accept my lack of explanation without question. My story in some ways is their story because it was something that all of us lived through.

It was I, however who was closest to it.

-Nicholas Sparks, "A Walk to Remember"

Something about this passage caught me, I normally would never have read a book like this one (most guys would call it a "chick book" I think) but I read this in the store and bought it, happened to be one of my favorites. It's not SciFi or Fantasy, but it's the writing that counts to me.

What do we think??

[This message has been edited by Gizzmo0411 (edited February 28, 2004).]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a "chick" I have to admit while the first sentence was interesting, I was then bored by the rest of it. I feel like the person is trying to create some mystery to get me interested, but in reality the author is showing me how vague he can be - sort of fake tension. Now if the blurb, or info on the inside jacket cover, or even the teaser page gave signs of an interesting story I would probably read on, read past that part which is, after all, short. If someone recommended the book to me, I'd go past that part. But if that was all I had to go on, I would look for something else to read. So I guess the first sentence works, but the rest, for me, does not.
Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I'm afraid I don't like openers like this. I've read past many of them and found good stories behind them, and probably would with this book too, but I don't like it. It reads like an author trying to tease me and draw me in and the result is the exact opposite.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
As a "Chick," I'm not so sure what is supposed to seem particuarly "chickish" about this, but I was hooked in. Yes, the first sentence is the most obvious, but the next paragraph, even in its teasing of plot, also says a lot about who the character is and the people around him, which I found engaging.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, when I first read A Walk to Remember (and yes, speaking as a guy, I have read it), the hook didn't bother me.

Looking back on it, though, especially in the context of the rest of the book, it seems really cheap. It's a bunch of crappy rhetoric designed to make you think the following story is important. In my opinion, Sparks should have let the story speak for itself instead of opening in media res, because it was an engaging and emotional tale in its own right (if predictable).

It seems to me that this was a very 'commercial' opening, except I don't think the reader would even have needed it, if Sparks would have just had a little faith in his story.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.