Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » S'good?

Author Topic: S'good?
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
There’s a guy like me in every state and federal prison in America, I guess–-I’m the guy who can get it for you. Tailormade cigarettes, a bag of reefer if you’re partial to that, a bottle of brandy to celebrate your son or daughter’s high school graduation, or almost anything else . . . within reason, that is. It wasn’t always that way.

I came to Shawshank when I was just twenty, and I am one of the few people in our happy little family willing to own up to what they did. I committed murder. I put a large insurance policy on my wife, who was three years older than I was, and then I fixed the brakes of the Chevrolet coupe her father had given us as a wedding present. It worked out exactly as I had planned, except I hadn’t planned on her stopping to pick up the neighbor woman and the neighbor woman’s infant son on their way down Castle Hill and into town. The brakes let go and the car crashed through the bushes at the edge of the town common, gathering speed. Bystanders said it must have been doing fifty or better when it hit the base of the Civil War statue and burst into flames.

Stevie King's Shawshank redemption. S'good, yes?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I can hear Morgan Freeman's voice overlaid with these words...I haven't read the book but I LOVE the movie!

Wow, this opening paragraph is even better than the opening of the movie...in the movie he only ever says he killed a guy....this is much darker! (Good ole Stephen King) I should read this book, I suppose.

I guess that would make it a hook.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a good opener. One of my very favorite stories and one of my favorite movies. Christine, you should definitely read the story. Both the movie and the story are fantastic in their own rights.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's a bit of an understatement, saying that the book was darker, but then, I've only ever seen the movie on TNT. And yeah, the movie was really, really good. The story, one of King's earlier works, was definetly something different, for me. I hadn't been reading him long when I read that.
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only ever seen the end of the movie, which I liked, and have never read the book. In fact, the only King I've read was The Eyes of the Dragon - I don't do horror (I like to sleep and am very suggestable, besides I can just watch the news for horror), so my husband suggested this as a way to read his work. I'd have to say wow - I wanted to keep reading.

S'good!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! You can't watch the end without watching the beginning...ruins the whole thing! Oh well, too late now. So, this weekend, go to Blockbuster (or a cheaper place if you can find it), rent Shawshank Redemption, and watch the whole thing, uncut and unedited. Sheesh, would never watch the thing on TNT...the movie's long enough as it is!
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but by the time they got done editing out all the stuff they can't show on TV, it would probably only be like half-an-hour long.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a King fan, but this story is a hook. I love the movie and I don't get tired of watching it.

punahougirl: Eyes of the Dragon? ICK!! That is one of the worst Fantasy type stories I have ever tried to read. I couldn't finish it, and I am very forgiving usually. Way too much wordy description in that one for me.

Anyway, Shawshank ROCKS!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I've neither read it, nor seen the film, but I knew from the first paragraph that it was King, and I'm not sure how.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, but by the time they got done editing out all the stuff they can't show on TV, it would probably only be like half-an-hour long.

Actually, no, believe it or not. The only major difference between the two versions, that I saw, was the language. Maybe a few violent shots cut out here and there, not sure on that count.

It's a great movie on TV, and even better unedited.

I do need to read the book, though, seeing as I've watched the movie about 6 times over the years. Only King I've ever read was Carrie and The Dead Zone... well, and On Writing, but that doesn't really count.

As for the Shawshank opening, 'tis indeed great stuff. Awesome how he managed to lay out the setting, Red's primary role in the prison, and what put him there, all while capturing your interest with a rather dark memory. Using the memory is a sacrifice in its own right, I suppose, but it certainly paid off.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tkilgore
Member # 1943

- posted      Profile for tkilgore   Email tkilgore         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm not much of a King fan anymore, either. I read much of his work when I was younger, but as I got older, the only things he wrote that interested me were his non-horror works, such as Shawhsank, Green Mile, and the Gunslinger series.
I think King sells himself short by concentrating on banging out horror pieces by the dozens when he is capable of better if he focuses.
I like to read horror, I just think he is better with other works.
Shawshank is very good!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.