Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Prologue and First Chapter Starts

Author Topic: Prologue and First Chapter Starts
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Prologues get a lot of bad press, but sometimes they do a lot of work for the story that follows, often by telling their own story. I can always nit-pick some things, but I thought both the prologue and the story starts here worked.

The Last Guardian, by Shane Johnson

Prologue:

Death.

It is an unseen, unfelt, unwanted companion, closer than arm's length throughout every hour of every day of a man's life. It is a silent, fathomless shadow, falling surely and inescapably within one's own, step for step, move for move. It is a numbing, irresistible, black abyss of a shroud, never sleeping, always watchful; its icy grip always coiled, always at the ready.

It waits.

The ancient man's heart raged against his ribs, forced beyond the limitations of aged flesh. Razored fingers of pain cut into his throbbing temples and aching, dusty lungs. His stringy hair, matted with sweat and dried blood, stung his eyes. He was beyond the point of collapse, his body now an enemy, but he knew he could not safely stop. Not to rest, nor to heal, nor even to die.

Chapter One:

A crystalline veil of stars stretched like a dewy web from horizon to horizon, each radiant pinpoint a gem set into the black velvet expanse beyond.

T.G. Shass lay on his back, his hands behind his head, peering wide-eyed into the inky depth of the cold Colorado night sky. As the warm glow of the campfire washed over his still form, he wished that the city sky at home could be even half as clear and wondrous as the panorama above him. He imagined himself looking not up but out, as if the ground beneath him were a wall to which he had been pinned and the sparkling display were spread head to toe before him. Meteorites cut momentary scars of brilliant light into the chilled autumn air, dramatically underscoring the etermal stillness of deep space.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited March 17, 2004).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
It's...interesting. I'll type up a longer opinion later when I digest it some more.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited March 17, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
FiveSides
Member # 1988

- posted      Profile for FiveSides   Email FiveSides         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, the prologue has that spoken narrator feel. Just like that anime series Outlaw Star. He walks a lonely path of destruction... Or something like that. Also the Chapter hook is good(or nice, depending on how insignifigant words affect you). Personally, I'd add in a name once and a while. Just to take off all the stress he and him must be felling.

~James
save the words!

[This message has been edited by Nixon (edited March 4, 1972).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Alias
Member # 1645

- posted      Profile for Alias           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, though I could see why others may not.
Posts: 295 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.