Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Try this one

Author Topic: Try this one
Adverb
Member # 1044

- posted      Profile for Adverb   Email Adverb         Edit/Delete Post 
Where you're supposed to be is some big West Hills wedding reception in a big manor house with flower arrangements and stuffed mushrooms all over the house. This is called scene setting: where everybody is, who's alive, who's dead. This is Evie Cottrell's big wedding reception moment. Evie is standing halfway down the big staircase in the manor house foyer, naked inside what's left of her wedding dress, still holding her rifle.

Me, I'm standing at the bottom of the stairs but only in a physical way. My mind is, I don't know where.

Nobody's all-the-way dead yet, but let's just say the clock is ticking.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't decide if I dig it or not. On the one hand, it's confusing. On the other hand, it makes me want to read the next paragraph, which I guess is really the point.

What's it from?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
FiveSides
Member # 1988

- posted      Profile for FiveSides   Email FiveSides         Edit/Delete Post 
So much information in such a small amount of words. Leave that to the poets.

~James
yes sir!

[This message has been edited by FiveSides (edited April 10, 2004).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Adverb
Member # 1044

- posted      Profile for Adverb   Email Adverb         Edit/Delete Post 
It's from Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk (the author of Fight Club). While I find him to be a one trick pony, his trick is very good, and I can't see how this opening wouldn't propel you into the rest of the novel. He is very good at grabbing the reader. Some more examples.

From Choke:

"If you're going to read this, don't bother.

After a couple of pages, you won't want to be here. So forget it. Go away. Get out while you're still in one piece.

Save yourself.

There has to be something better on television. Or since you have so much time on your hands, maybe you could take a night course. Become a doctor. You could make something out of yourself. Treat yourself to a dinner out. Color your hair.

You're not getting any younger."

And from the work that David Fincher made famous:

"Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after that Tyler's pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die. For a long time though, Tyler and I were best friends. People are always asking, did I know about Tyler Durden.

Th barrel of the gun pressed against the back of my throat, Tyler says, 'We really won't die.'"

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.