Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » May: Strengths and Weaknesses

Author Topic: May: Strengths and Weaknesses
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you feel are Jo Rowling's strengths and weaknesses in her writing? As I'm a beginning writer, I'd love to understand more about what I should-- and shouldn't-- emulate.

As for my sophomoric opinion, I think that her story-telling in general is masterful, and her characters loveable, even if I love to hate them! (Something I value a great deal in a story, as a reader...) I'd say her weakness is not going into enough detail at times about the environments in which the characters find themselves.

I'd love to hear some opinions of the more experienced and talented writers here!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what you mean by environments...are you saying she doesn't give enough sensory detail? I don't hav too much trouble visualizing the here and now of the story, myself, but then I'm one who likes only essential details, and to heck with anything else.

I agree with you on the strengths 100%. I think she's got 2 main weakness. The first is the horrible plot hole in the fourt book. (There were minor plot holes in some of the others, but not as bad as #4). The other one is more general, and I don't now how to put it into words. There are some periphery details that seem to be missing from her stories. I understand that there are some things Harry doesn't know about his parents and background, and that these details will be filled in later, but for some reason he doesn't seem curious about them, despite his insatiable curiosity about everything else. I don't even know what they did for a living to get all that gold they left him. This isn't the sort of thing that's going to keep me from reading further if I knew the answer. If I was an orphan, and I found out my parents were the heroes that his parents were, I'd ask all manner of questions to find out about them. As it is, Hermoine seems to know more about him than he does. And Hermoine is the other hole...she's the least developed character in the story, I think, at least in proportion to her importance in the stories. She's one of the main trio, but we don't know antyhing about her past except that she has muggle parents and they're dentists. And her personality, which started out with "brain" has not gone on to evolve much past that label.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of sheer curiosity (I apologise in advance if that question has been answered a thousand times elsewhere, but I had a quick look and couldn't find it), what's the plot hole in book 4?
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric Sherman
Member # 2007

- posted      Profile for Eric Sherman   Email Eric Sherman         Edit/Delete Post 
It always bothered me that they never studied any essenstial topics at Hogwarts...like Math or English, to name a few.
Posts: 78 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with what's been said before. The plot holes and devices such as the time travel in the third book are her weaknesses but her storytelling and readability are definitely her strong points.

*SPOILER WARNING*

Unless there's another one I'm missing too I think Christine's referring to the fact that why didn't whoever the guy was who smuggled the portkey into Hogwarts (I forget his name)simply grab hold of Harry whilst holding it to take him to where Voldemort was instead of taking the risk of putting it in the middle of the maze? Rather than do it then in full view of everyone and with a risk Harry might not be first to reach it, he could have just grabbed hold of Harry somewhere quiet and been done with it.

[This message has been edited by Gwalchmai (edited May 06, 2004).]

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric said: "It always bothered me that they never studied any essential topics at Hogwarts...like Math or English, to name a few."

Here's my smart-aleck response: In a recent interview with JKR, she mentioned that some wizards, the Weasleys included, are taught at home before going to Hogwarts. So, being homeschooled, they probably learned all the "everyday" stuff they needed to know at home! (Since subjects can be learned faster when a student gets one-on-one attention, and doesn't have to wait 5 minutes while every member of the class turns to page 48... or whatever.)

Homeschool mother and advocate ,
~L.L.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The math and english thing did kind of bother me too, but I have another answer for it. (Aside from home school, although I'm sure it's a good idea. ) By the time someone is eleven, they should have learned how to read, write, spell, and do basic math. Unless I am mistaken, complex forms of mathematics are considered, in this world, to be highly scientific and therefore not magical. (Although Hermoine is in an arithmency class and I'm not sure what they do in there...) It does seem to me that ongoing english language training would be useful no matter what. They do have a history class, and science is completely replaced. (I think that covers the basic 4.) So in the end, I think the only deficiency is english.

And yes, that was the plot hold to which I referred. but SPOILER WARNING....to

fill in the gaps it was Professor Moody who made the port key that took Harry to Voldemort and not so much that he could have grabbed him (because as Hermoine points out at least a million times, you can't just apparate or disapparate inside Hogwarts), but he could have given Harry a pencil that was really a port key....I mean anything could be a port key. They only thing I can figure (and if it's true she sure didn't spell it out like she usually does) is that Voldemort intended to take him from the maze, kill him, and then deposit him back in the maze so that no one would suspect his return, they would all think Harry died in the course of trying to complete the maze. (Actually, I just thought of that...it never occurred to me before, but it's not a bad thought.)

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.