Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Kate Elliott - King's Dragon

Author Topic: Kate Elliott - King's Dragon
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On a hill surrounded on three sides by forest and on the fourth by the ruins of a fortress stood a ring of stones. They crowned the hill with stark beauty, like the bones of a castle buried so deeply in the soil that only the battlements of the tallest tower rose above the earth. It was said by some that chambers lay beneath the standing stones, rooms filled with treasure, with haunts, with creatures not of human form. It was said that passageways led out from these chambers like rivers stretching from a landlocked lake, leading from this hill across the land, even to the cold sea in the north, even to the great mountains far to the south.

This is the first thirteen lines of Kate Elliot's King's Dragon, the first book in a 7 book series still being finished.

It starts kinda slow... in fact the entire first novel is a little slow for some people's tastes, but I've gotten completely hooked on the series and have the sixth book on pre-order.

What do the rest of you think?

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

The series title, by the way, is Crown of Stars.
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say it sounds like a set-up for a fairly straightforward FRP scenario.

D&D has a lot to answer for...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

I'm not well acquainted with D&D or it's terminology. What is a FRP scenario?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
'Fantasy role playing', I think. Either that or 'fiber-reinforced plastic'.

"Quickly, Alric! Turn up the compressor or the boat will be ruint! I will skin thee an' it be ruint!"

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 21, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.