Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Anyone read Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted?

Author Topic: Anyone read Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted?
RagDoll
Member # 2757

- posted      Profile for RagDoll   Email RagDoll         Edit/Delete Post 
A stunning piece of fiction. Remarkably descriptive, well researched, plausible, and quite possibly one of my favorite books.

No description I could give would ever do it justice. (trust me, I've written and deleted at least three paragraphs from this box because its an insult to the complexity of the story). It does tend to be a touch graphic, but I'd recommend it to anyone.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Haunted is the only one of his fictional works (I think he recently published a collection of non-fiction essays)that I haven't read, but I plan on reading it soon. I love this guy's style. I recently finished his novel, "Diary." It was a good read. Just for kicks (and for the oddity of this hook), I'm including Chapter One from that book here...this is all of it:

JUNE 21--THE THREE-QUARTER MOON

TODAY, A MAN CALLED from Long Beach. He left a long message on the answering machine, mumbling and shouting, talking fast and slow, swearing and threatening to call the police, to have you arrested.

Today is the longest day of the year--but anymore, every day is.

The weather today is increasing concern followed by full-blown dread.

The man calling from Long Beach, he says his bathroom is missing.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
maria102182
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for maria102182   Email maria102182         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read it, maybe I should.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
This is also the guy who wrote Fight Club, for those who didn't already know. I haven't read that one yet, but I've read his Lullaby and his non-fiction book Stranger than Fiction.

That Stranger than Fiction book has an introduction containing interesting insights into writing and how he, in particular, does it. Haven't read Haunted yet, but I hear it's making a splash. I think his stuff's pretty good.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realise he wrote Fight Club.

One of my favourite movies, but I never read the book. Guess maybe I should.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of funny to see this here today. I found this email in my inbox when I got up this morning...

>Monday, October 17, 2005

>"1ST OVERDUE NOTICE"

>The following Library materials are overdue. >Please return them
>as soon as possible and pay the associated >fines.

> 1 call number:FICTION PALAHNIUK >ID:ILOG000278897Y
> Haunted : a novel of stories / Chuck >Palahniuk.
> Palahniuk, Chuck.
> due:10/8/2005,23:59

Ironically, I never read it. I checked it out and then forgot about it, and my wonderful library decided not to remind me about that until ten days after it was due back. Why they couldn't have sent that email two days before it was due I will never know...

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody know how to pronounce his frickin' name??

Uh, he does make reference, in his non-fiction book, to a new type of fiction. To whit, Trangressive Fiction. Fight Club is an example. So is American Psycho (which they also made into a move, but written by another author). I guess the idea is the main character transgresses against something (the establishment in Fight Club, or shallowness in American Psycho) in order to teach the reader something about it.

Interesting idea.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.