Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Saint Leibowitz And The Wild Horse Woman

Author Topic: Saint Leibowitz And The Wild Horse Woman
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone else has read the follow-up to Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller Jnr?

I was profoundly effected by Canticle when I read it as a teenager and wondered what others thought of Horse Woman.

(This topic is transferred from the General Writing forum.)

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Canticle was also very special to me. I haven't even bothered to look at the sequel. How could it compare?

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 25, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It could compare the same way that being stomped hard on the toe compares to, well, not getting stomped hard on the toe.

I'd agree about Leibowitz. Wild Horse Woman, oh, Lord, I hated it.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember starting to read it. I remember stopping, but I can't remember why. I think I was just bored.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
It did feel more cynical than the first.
Like the author was trying to make it a bit seedier for the sake of appealing to a modern audience.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't take to the original, the way I did to a few other classic SF novels. I remember the end somewhat well, probably because it was described at fair length in "Billion Year Spree."

I think I found its fame and success somewhat offputting. I remember avoiding reading some works because it seemed they were everywhere, all over the racks and in my face. I avoided buying and reading any Tolkien until my high school held a book fair, "The Hobbit" was the only book offered that was remotely SF or fantasy, and I felt I just had to buy something. I didn't read it until the following summer (and then I simply had to seek out and move on to "The Lord of the Rings")

I think, one by one, I caught up with everything I avoided in this way. I caught up with "Leibowitz" a few years after that. (Come to think of it, I bought it used.)

(I do like a lot of Miller's shorter works very much, though. He was good. Don't pass up "Dumb Waiter," "The Darfstellar," or "Vengeance for Nikolai," if you can find copies.)

As for the sequel, well...I wonder how good a book it could be, given that Miller couldn't or wouldn't finish it, but definitely didn't finish it.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.