Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » What grabs you best?

Author Topic: What grabs you best?
Campbell
Member # 2881

- posted      Profile for Campbell   Email Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious to hear everyone's opinion on which hook you think works best.

Here are some examples of what I mean. Let me know what you think...

Book begins with dialogue:

From A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.

"Please tell me that's not going to be part of my birthday dinner this evening."

I am staring into the hissing face of a cobra. A surprisingly pink tongue slithers in and out of a cruel mouth while an Indian man whose eyes are the blue of blindness inclines his head toward my mother and explains in Hindi that cobras make very good eating.

OR

Book begins with foreshadowing:

From Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance. Mrs. Baird's was like a thousand other Highland bed-and-breakfast establishments in 1945; clean and quiet, with fading floral wallpaper, gleaming floors, and a coin-operated hot-water geyser in the lavatory. Mrs. Baird herself was squat and easygoing, and made no objection to Frank lining her tiny rose-sprigged parlor with the dozens of books and papers with which he always traveled.

OR

Book begins with character introduction:

From Rachel and Leah by Orson Scott Card.

Bilhah was not born a slave. Her father was a free man, the son of a free man. He had skill, too. His fingers could fly over the pots of tile and find just the right color and he'd know just what size and shape it needed to be and he could tap just so on the tile and the right piece would chip off and he'd set it into the mortar.

Let me know what you think.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go for the character introduction first.

By the way, you left out at least one other possible beginning: the weather report.

The one you call foreshadowing could count as another kind of beginning: description of the setting or "establishing shot" as they call it in film (which can also be a weather report, but doesn't have to be).

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter to me. I think the ability to write a good first page in a novel does not translate to writing a good novel. For me, I'll give the book about 50 pages. If it is terrible, then I will not finish it (or purchase it, if I've read these pages at BN.)
Or if there are dwarves (I hate stories with dwarves, that is an automatic stop reading for me).
So, to me it really doesn't matter, I guess is the main idea here.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brecca's Sister
Member # 2925

- posted      Profile for Brecca's Sister   Email Brecca's Sister         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never liked dialogue beginnings. In my mind most authors who use them are doing it as a cheap way to write a story; and most of the time the book that starts out like that turns out bad.

Atleast that's my experience.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lekuto
Member # 2933

- posted      Profile for Lekuto   Email Lekuto         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I've read books that start like all of those examples that have turned out to be excellent. On the same hand, though, I've read books that start like each example that have been horrible. I don't personally have a preference, as long as it grabs my attention.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Corky wrote:
quote:
the weather report.

Ah yes. There was a time when almost every time I sat down at the typewriter, the first thing I did was describe the sky, the weather, or something of that nature.

Then, when I realised what I was doing, I wrote a piece which began "Why do I always start by describing the sky?"

That seemed to cure me for a while, but I've noticed recently that it's creeping back in, though mostly as an adjunct to what's happeneing, rather than a replacement.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.