Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Theodore Sturgeon

Author Topic: Theodore Sturgeon
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys heard of him? I forget who said it, but some folks think he might be the best at writing a first line ever. Take this opener from The Dreaming Jewels:

"They caught the kid doing something disgusting out under the bleachers at the high-school stadium, and he was sent home from the grammar school across the street. He was eight years old then. He'd been doing it for years."

Um, I won't tell you what it is, but I'm wondering how many of you will try and find the book to find out!

Book wasn't bad either.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's great. I liked it better than his better-known "More Than Human." And Sturgeon is one of the select twentieth-century authors of fantasy and / or science fiction that must be studied, not just read, by anyone serious about writing fantasy and / or science fiction.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard of him? Are you kidding?! The guy's great. I've read just about every single thing he's written (including his obscure crime, western and pastiche novels).

In particular E Pluribus Unicorn (1953) and Sturgeon is Alive and Well (1971) are fantastic collections.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and if you can, spring for some or all of the "collected works" series put together by Paul Williams over the last ten years. It's not complete yet---I look forward to the next volume.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the first three volumes.

I think my favorite story of his is "Bright Segment".

Favorite book: Some of Your Blood

Disturbing!

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.