Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Salman Rushdie

Author Topic: Salman Rushdie
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
I've often thought that anybody who wants to take writing seriously should read some Salman Rushdie. Now his stuff is NOT an easy read (normally, though Haroun and the Sea of Stories is meant for children and is pretty good), but the man's way with language is worth the work.

Anybody read him?

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Satanic Verses. He is a decent writer, not great, but he tackles some subject matter that I wouldn't go near and I respect him for that. His style is a little dark and bland for my tastes.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a review he wrote on FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM by Umberto Eco, and from the review I could tell that he probably didn't read the entire book. I found that rather unimpressive.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of him as a reviewer. I enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum, though it was not what you'd call an easy read. It was kind of a more literary, thinking-man's version of the DaVinci Code almost.

Rushdie's freedom with words is very liberating from a writer's point of view though. That alone makes it worthwhile reading.

The pace and depth of his books aren't for the casual reader. No more than Eco's.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.