Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » John Steinbeck's East of Eden

Author Topic: John Steinbeck's East of Eden
john clark
Member # 2976

- posted      Profile for john clark           Edit/Delete Post 
Antbody out there a Steinbeck fan? Besides
me that is...

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge Steinbeck fan. My favourite book of his was "In Dubious Battle." What a spectacular novel.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read Steinbeck in a long time, but I always liked what I read of his. Of Mice and Men sticks with you for a long time.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

Mice and Men was good, but it felt "forced" to me. Steinbeck used a lot of cliche (IMHO) in that short book. We were happy when we were supposed to be, and we cried when we were supposed to be.

Still a good story though.

Ever read "Travels with Charlie"? What a funny book. I don't often laugh out loud when reading, but that book had me in stitches.

Same with Cannery Row.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The only Steinbeck book I'm sure I've read is his posthumous King Arthur book, and that for its fantasy associations. I can't recall him popping up as required reading in English classes, and though I've seen several movies-from-his-novels I've never been drawn to read the books-from-which-the-movies-came.

I suppose Steinbeck is one author who's fallen through the cracks of my mind. Though I've read some of his near-contemporaries fairly extensively (Hemingway and Fitzgerald come to mind), I've just missed his work.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john d. clark
Member # 2977

- posted      Profile for john d. clark   Email john d. clark         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, sorry to be so long to respond after starting the
thread. Rcorporon, yes Mice and Men is forced. It's also
a collection of other descriptions (the river) from other
works. I think the reason it may get brought out in high
school english classes so much IS because it's pretty tame
stuff, but has strong characters, and a well conceived plot.

I sure agree with you about Cannery Row's being funny in
places. But I think it's kinda tragically so. As in a Chaplin
film. The character of Doc was particularly interesting. Recall
his trip down the California coast stopping every few miles
for a hamburger and a beer. When he arrives in La Jolla he
finds a murdered women in the tide pools? Yet the stuff is
so innocuous. Heck, I'd let my daughter read it as a first book.

Robert Nowall, if you dont read Grapes of Wrath you are missing
one of the better novels of the 20th. The film is right in
there to. John Ford, or Howard Hawks their style is so similar
I cant tell the difference. :-P

Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
John Ford, as I recall. You can always tell the difference between Ford and Hawks by how they use their settings. With Ford, the settings usually seem so lively that they're almost characters in themselves (think "The Quiet Man" or "The Searchers.") With Hawks there's never any more of the setting than is needed for the story (think "Rio Bravo" or "Bringing Up Baby.")

None of which has much to do with Steinbeck...I first saw "The Grapes of Wrath" when they ran it for us in high school. Good stuff...but I wasn't tempted to check the novel out of the library...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

I think that the only Steinbeck book that I didn't like was "Cup of Gold." Wasn't that his first book? It was weak.

Nobody else has read "In Dubious Battle"?

Ronnie

john d. clark
Member # 2977

- posted      Profile for john d. clark   Email john d. clark         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, there's an good comment if ever I heard one.
Well, Ford certainly gives us a beautiful if not sometimes
contrived road trip across America in Grapes. Thinking of the
Indian s in New Mexico with their sheep and the woman with the
papoose as the man makes jewelry over an anvil.

I must admit I know very little of Hawks. His only film I am
familiar with is The Thing. I cant really say I feel
strongly about it. You probably think me a little silly. There
is allot of simple intelligence in the scene where they figure
out it was a flying saucer. The frightening stuff remains
well, frightening. Mostly because of the way it's edited and
the element of surprise is used. The staging reminds me a bit
of Jack Arnold. Simple, theatrical.

BTW, I should have said I get the names confused. Dont sound
quite as smart do I? :-P

Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john d. clark
Member # 2977

rcorporon, I'll give it a shot. Is that a novel about union busting? Am I just way off?
rcorporon
Member # 2879

DING DING! We have a winner.

Yea, its about fruit pickers and union busting.

Books like this one get my red Marxist heart pumping all fast, and the good Communist blood flowing through my veins! Steinbeck either was a good old lefty, or had an excellent understanding of the working mans feelings and organized labour.

Ronnie

john d. clark
Member # 2977

rcorporon, yes he was a lefty. It might interest you a little to know that I grew up in the places where those conflicts had their origins. There is a very interesting book "The King of California" gos into more detail. I was raised by a pack of liberal wolves myself ;-) I'll have a read of it then get back w/you for a discussion. I look forward to it.
rcorporon
Member # 2879

Sounds good! You can get my email from my profile I think...

I look forward to it!

Ronnie

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved To a God Unknown
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
...and am looking forThe Pastures of Heaven
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john d. clark
Member # 2977

rcorporon, I've started it last evening. I'll wait until I am done then email you.
john d. clark
Member # 2977

Hoptoad! Those are just the most interesting choices.
I also would like to take the opportunity to thank you for
what are very thoughtful and right on the money suggestions.
IMO

I dont suppose you would be interested in reading work by
would be writers who are desperate for feedback, and could really
use the help. (spoken in a voice like Dorothy in the Wizard
of Oz ;-)

Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
East of Eden is glorious. It's my favorite Steinbeck novel, and it's almost my favorite book. The characters were rich and important, the themes provocative, and writing was interesting and honest.

There were a few tangents, like Olive's adventure in the airplane, that I could do without, and Cathy did seem too comic book villian to be real, but overall, the book was astounding.

I've read a wheelbarrow full of Steinbeck and Cannery Row is what I would call his most technically perfect novel. Doc makes an excellent hero and a straightman, but with respect to ambition, East of Eden is awesome.

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited November 15, 2005).]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.