Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » You like fantasy? Read China Mieville

Author Topic: You like fantasy? Read China Mieville
Jonny Woopants
Member # 3004

- posted      Profile for Jonny Woopants   Email Jonny Woopants         Edit/Delete Post 
Forget Elves & Dwarfs and Wizards... anyone here read any of China Mieville's books set in the fantasy world of Bas-Lag. Can't gush enough about it at the mo, currently reading his third installment: Iron Council...help! my eyes are bleeding I can't put thing down
Check this out:
Men on all fours become bison-men, carrying men wrapped about with limbs, and women walking on elongated arms made of animals’ parts, and men stamping on piston legs like jackhammers come alive, and women with all over whiskers, or with finger-thick tendrils feeling through their skin, and tusks stolen from boars and carved from marble, and mouths become interlocked gears, and switching tails of cats and dogs frilling waists like skirts and sweating in inks from Remade glands and astream with a rainbow mess, and this aggregate of criminals, this motley comes closer to freedom.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Awh, man, but ain't this guy just awesome?!

'Perdido Street Station' left me stunned with the sheer immensity of this guy's imagination...

... and then 'The Scar' came out and just totally floored me. This writer's relentless flow of invention and astonishing attention to detail is nothing short of a revelation in the genre.

Haven't gotten around to 'Iron Council' yet... kinda saving that one up!

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I read "Perdido Street Station". Sometimes I thought he went a bit over the top, but otherwise this imaginative fantasy that doesn't try to ape Tolkien.
Heartily recommended.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonny Woopants
Member # 3004

- posted      Profile for Jonny Woopants   Email Jonny Woopants         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit he does occasionally go over the top. He dragged the ending out a little too long on Perdido Street Station for my liking but I was so spellbound by the first three quarters of the book its momentum carried me through to the end.

Still the best book I've read in a long while.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Men on all fours become bison-men, carrying men wrapped about with limbs, and women walking on elongated arms made of animals’ parts, and men stamping on piston legs like jackhammers come alive, and women with all over whiskers, or with finger-thick tendrils feeling through their skin, and tusks stolen from boars and carved from marble, and mouths become interlocked gears, and switching tails of cats and dogs frilling waists like skirts and sweating in inks from Remade glands and astream with a rainbow mess, and this aggregate of criminals, this motley comes closer to freedom.

Er, does he write like this all the time? I've seen several people recommend this author, but if all of his writing is like that it's definitely not my cup of tea. Good to know now, I suppose, rather than trying to choke down an entire book of it.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get into PERDIDO STREET STATION, Mel. He's not my cuppa either.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I couldn't get into it either.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonny Woopants
Member # 3004

posted November 25, 2005 03:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't get into PERDIDO STREET STATION,
Mel. He's not my cuppa either.

I'm speechless....

Guess it takes all sorts. Be boring if everybody liked the same stuff.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.