Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Writing the NYTimes??

Author Topic: Writing the NYTimes??
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
So are any of you writing to the NY Times to complain about the spoiler-heavy review of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" BEFORE the book's release? Just curious. How many other authors make a big deal about their release date? Is JKR unique in that? The publishers had strong contracts with all their dealers, and two dealers broke those contracts. I think it will be interesting to see how the court cases come out (they're being sued). I'm also curious to see if the publishers go after the NY Times for the very nice review they wrote two days before the book was supposed to be seen by anyone.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
My great fear over the next two days is a newspaper headline on Saturday morning that gives away the ending. Anyway, I know how I'm spending my weekend.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
<closes eyes...puts fingers in ears> LALALALALALALA!!!
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing is I'm more worried about my wife's uncle spoiling it for me. I can shut the media out. Sadly, I'm not allowed to shut him out, and he'll spoil it out of some gleeful sadism.

I haven't seen the article. Does it warn readers about the spoilers, at least?

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no warnings. The Baltimore Sun has a similar article, and reveals the ending, although it says earlier on that it won't do any spoilers (it does, though). I wrote a scathing letter to the NY Times, comparing them to Rita Skeeter. THEN I read that one of the approximately 120 people who got their books delivered on the 17th put it on eBay and sold it for $250! I'm ashamed that this all has happened in the USA. It's a big blotch on our noses, that's for sure.

I've read that some of the spoiler sites were taken down when the web host was threatened with a lawsuit from the publishers, but some of them are still up. I haven't pursued it - I saw one such site and read the two newspaper articles in digust. GREAT reviews, really, but to do them early and give away so much??? NOT a nice thing to do!!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I could live with knowing what'll happen before I read it. I think they're making more of this "let's keep it secret until a specific time" than need be done. Lotsa books show up before their scheduled release date.

I think it's a carryover from the movie studios. George Lucas et. al. were tightlipped about how the "Star Wars" movies ended. This protectivivty caught on. (On the other hand, Disney tends to put everything out there, in one form or another, bringing people into the theaters with familiarity, not mystery.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.