Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Published first 13 analysis - Ashwin's Rules from Hemisphere's Magazine

Author Topic: Published first 13 analysis - Ashwin's Rules from Hemisphere's Magazine
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
This is from the United Airlines in-flight magazine from sometime earlier this year (apparently they don't put a date on their pages!)

It's a work of short fiction (not sure length - my guess is 2000-3000 words?) by Tricia Dower

The story really struck my husband, who tore (oh the horrors!) it out of the magazine to bring home to me. This is notable. He brings me an occasional article from a newspaper or news-related magazine (typically on a technology topic or one related to my non-for-profit work) but a whole STORY. My husband read a work of short fiction? But anyway, that's the lead-in, it really resonated with someone who would not normally read short fiction.

Here are the first 13:
Ashwin's Rules
On a breeze September afternoon, Ashwin Kapoor burst into an odorous, noisy, brightly lit world. He bore Leena's milky-tea complexion and sleepy eyes. From Prem, he took his melon-shaped head and wiry frame. He felt arms, legs, fingers and toes growing, as a tree senses its roots burrowing into the earth. He heard the whoosh of more than a thousand enzymes racing through his cells. Power seemed to radiate from his pores, reaching out to all else that lived.

Leena and Prem appeared to him, even then, as disconnections of motion, noise, touch, and smell: the scratch of starched cotton, the whispery blur of silk, the pinch of incense. They sailed him around their small rooms in Toronto's Little India, pointing at shapes. "Ganesha," they said, pulling his fingers...

===

Interestingly, as I re-read the story beginning, I realized that the story gave me a misconception from the start. My interpretation of the story is that it's about the world according to an autistic or otherwise handicapped boy. It's a really interesting study in what his impressions must be. However, from the first 13, I got the distinct impression that this was a work of speculative fiction - that the boy had superpowers of some sort, to be able to feel the rush of enzymes and feeling his limbs growing.

This is not something that the author maintains throughout the story, but rather just helps set the stage for the unusual point of view, which is limited to the child's POV but omniscient in many ways since there are things explained that I suspect a child with the kinds of disabilities depicted wouldn't be able to understand or interpret.

At any rate, I suspect this isn't all that interesting if you haven't read the rest of this story...and I was going to end it there, but through the wonders that the Internet provides - here's a link to the story!
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/may07/ashwin.html

Aww...I forgot the story made me cry. Sniff sniff. This parenting thing just makes me a basket case for mother-love stories.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordPoochie
Member # 6174

- posted      Profile for LordPoochie   Email LordPoochie         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the rest of the story, but from the first thirteen I got a very different impression. It definitely seemed to be describing Ashwin's birth.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, said birth to me as well...

Was engagingly written though, not sure if the voice of the piece would hold me for long though.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDower
Member # 8556

- posted      Profile for TDower   Email TDower         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize this discussion is two years old but I've just recently discovered it. My name is Tricia Dower and I'm the author of "Ashwin's Rules." Thank you all for your kind comments. If you have any questions about the story, I'll be pleased to answer them.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! I have a question for you, Tricia.

How did you sell your story to an inflight magazine?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Oh my gosh, Tricia, I am so thrilled that you posted!

I am thrilled for two reasons.

The main reason I'm thrilled is that I had completely forgotten about this thread. I was recently disappointed when I couldn't remember enough about this story's title or date to be able to find it online in a search (I think I tried airline magazine archives, but they weren't sorted in a way that I could usefully search.)

The second reason, though, is that I'm so glad that you posted (and relieved that I didn't sound too ridiculous in my 2 year old post!) Your story is still with me, and I still think of it often, even though parenting a child with autism/mental handicaps is not something I have experience with.

As writers, so often we send our work out into the wind and just hope that we can have an impact on someone, somehow (even if it's just the slush pile editor to pass it up the food chain!) My 8 year old son told me tonight that sometimes he gets worried when he's writing something, that he doesn't want to share it. When I asked more about why, he said because he was worried that people would laugh. Oh my little old soul! He hit right to the heart of what keeps some of us from submitting our work out into the big, bad world.

I would love any suggestions you have on submitting, particularly to a market like Hemispheres Magazine.

I'm sure once I get over my excitement at your post, I will have more questions. I also hope you'll consider poking around here at Hatrack. While there's a heavy leaning toward speculative fiction, there's a wide range of tastes and styles, as well as skill levels from new to the craft to those who've had many works published, and much range in between.

And I hope you can take as a deep compliment the fact that my husband defaced a magazine to share your story with me, quite a statement!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

One quick question for you, Tricia - the link to Hemispheres doesn't seem to have a copy of the story up any longer. Is there somewhere else online that this story is available? I'd love to read it again (and be able to share it with whomever it was I was hoping to share it with a month or two ago!)

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in reading it as well - the opening had me hooked, and I have worked in the past with children with autism.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDower
Member # 8556

Once again, my apologies for not responding sooner. I don't get any notification of related posts.

Anyway, I'll try to remember your questions, since I can see only the reply box. How did I submit to Hemispheres? I sent them the story in 2004 or 2005 and the editor was very interested but, in the end rejected it. I sold the story subsequently to Room of One's Own, a literary magazine, and it ran in 2005. In late 2006 or early 2007 Hemispheres contacted me asking if I owned the rights to the story, which I did. They had a space to fill and needed something quickly that had been more-or-less pre-approved. So, that's how it happened.

Thank you for your kind comments. I can see where you might have gotten the impression from the opening that the story was speculative but I was trying to convey how an infant, predisposed to being especially sensitive to his environment might experience birth.

I have been busy of late with book publishing. In May 2008, the Canadian feminist press, Inanna, published my Silent Girl, a collection of short stories inspired by Shakespeare's female characters. I recently completed a novel based on one of those stories and have signed with a literary agent who will begin marketing it in the US and Canada. The book is set in New Jersey so I think US readers will find it interesting.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDower
Member # 8556

Someone asked where you could read the story. Room of One's Own magazine has a link to it on PDF. If you go to this page and look at the left column, you'll see a link to sample from this issue and my name. I got an extra $10 for allowing that link! Enjoy.

http://www.roommagazine.com/backissues/28_4/index.html

[This message has been edited by TDower (edited October 04, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting conversation especially with the writer here to comment.

I must say though that I go a different idea from those 13 lines. Now I can see how it would be a birth but when he burst into our world I thought he came from another dimension. I have read stories like that; an alien being of some type with powers beyond that of mortal kin, appearing in our world.

I wondered why they were showing him stuff and how they got there first.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDower
Member # 8556

Glad to see a response to my years later posting!
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? We live for this stuff.

Or, at least I do.

And I was fascinated by your story. Thanks for writing it.

[This message has been edited by PB&Jenny (edited October 04, 2010).]

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
since I can see only the reply box

When you are on the reply box page, and you want to see the entire topic (so you can remember what was said in order to respond to it), all you have to do is scroll down.

The complete topic is in a box (with its own scroll bar) below the reply box but not visible on most screens.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TDower
Member # 8556

Thanks, Corky. I have one of the screens that don't show the discussion.
TDower
Member # 8556

PB&Jenny, thanks for reading the story.

And, call me stupid, but I just found the scroll bar you referred to Corky. I don't have a defective screen after all!

[This message has been edited by TDower (edited October 04, 2010).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

Thanks for returning, Tricia! You can see we all keep coming back, gluttons for punishment, we are.

Congratulations on your recent publications and agent-signings! Feel free to post a link to amazon.com or wherever we might go to see your short story collection (and come back when your novel hits the shelves!) We also have a writing brags kind of forum for the authors who come here to post of their publication successes. Take advantage of it, you never know where the next passionate fan will come from. It could just be that her husband will tear a story out of an in-flight magazine...

I am glad for the reminder of the story, as through the years some of my friends' children have received autism diagnoses and I'd like to share this with them. I'm glad the story is still available online.

TDower
Member # 8556

Thanks, KayTi. People can find out where to buy my story collection on my website: www.triciadower.com.

I'll check out the "brags forum."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.