Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » R is for Run-on

Author Topic: R is for Run-on
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a lot of fiction for enjoyment but also to pickup the rhythm, voice and pace of proven authors under the assumption that becoming a good writer one should read good writers. Yesterday I checked out a Sue Grafton novel for the first time, she of the alphabet mystery novel series.
I couldn’t believe the over use of run-on sentences. For example:

An excerpt from Sue Grafton’s Q is for Quarry:

I leaned over and scooped up the sweats I’d left folded on the floor. I wriggled into pants and top. I sat up and tugged on a pair of crew socks, shoved my feet into my Sauconys, and had my key tied to the laces before I’d left my bed. It occurred to me that if I just made it my habit to sleep in my sweats and crew socks, it would be a lot more efficient. All I’d need were my running shoes and I’d be ready to go. I went into the bathroom and availed myself of the facilities, after which I brushed my teeth, splashed water on my face, and then used my wet hands to comb the sleep-generated peaks and valleys from my hair. I trotted down the spiral stairs, checked the thumblock on the front door and pulled it shut, then rounded the studio to the gate.

I usually give a book the 100 page test before giving up. This one didn’t get past page 43.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you point out the run-on sentences here? I didn't see one in the whole paragraph.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. If you put that down for run-on sentences, I can't imagine what you read. I see some sentences that could be broken up, but they are all NIT/style-preference choices. There's no technical run-ons. However, mybe you feel the info is being dumped, and it runs on and on and on--in that case, well, could be...I haven't read it.

The paragraph structure is not too bad: First sentence is not too long; Second is short; Third is a list-type sentence; Fourth is similar to the first; the last two are also list-type sentences. Is the next sentence short? If so, she has a rhythm for breaking up long sentences.

In essence, your learning what many of us already have discussed: A really good story compensates for lacks in prose.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about run-ons, but it sure is lackluster.

U is for Uninteresting.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
The writing style isn't bad. I agree with IAB about the structure, and I don't feel the sentences are run-on, myself.

What stops me is that I don't know what's going on. I don't know why the character is doing any of this. I got a sense of urgency, but I didn't know why, so I felt more impatient than anything else.

If this appeared in F&F, that would be my main nit, not the writing.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What stops me is that I don't know what's going on. I don't know why the character is doing any of this. I got a sense of urgency, but I didn't know why, so I felt more impatient than anything else.

To be fair, Antinomy calls this an excerpt, this might be a paragraph in the middle of a chapter.

I have no idea as I'm allergic to Sue Grafton's books.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this book called "Chronicles of My Boring Day-to-Day Life?"
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
'Taint easy to pad these things out.

("...availed myself of the facilities..." [suppressed chuckle])

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that is a human necessity that goes without much attention in my writing.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.