Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

Author Topic: The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx
Kurim21
Member # 5695

- posted      Profile for Kurim21   Email Kurim21         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't fantasy, but the Heroin Diaries are a very good read. About a year of his life is covered in actual diary entries during his heroin addiction. I think the first thirteen are very powerful.

December 25th, 1986 Van Nuys, 7:30 p.m.
Merry Christmas,
Well, that's what people say at Christmas, right? Except normally they have somebody to say it to. They have their friends and family all around them. They haven't been crouched naked under a Christmas tree with a needle in their arm like an insane person in a mansion in Van Nuys.
They're not out of their minds and writing in a diary and they're not watching their holiday spirit coagulating in a spoon. I didn't speak to a single person today... I thought of calling Bob Timmons, but why should I ruin his Christmas?
I guess I've decided to start another diary this time for a few different reasons.
1. I have no friends left.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
The very nature of the book will probably split people - half will read it regardless and half will reject it regardless of the First 13. I think I'd read the back cover first, First 13 or so, then scan through it. For me, it's not really an appealing topic to begin with unless there's some point to be made (I'm not sure what the book's about - I'm assuming it's a bunch of his writings while he was addicted to heroin - could be wrong).

It's not a bad First 13 - somewhat interesting. I'd probably read a few pages just to see where it was going.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kurim21
Member # 5695

- posted      Profile for Kurim21   Email Kurim21         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I didn't think this through very well. You make an excellent point. I enjoyed the book and got to have it and the soundtrack signed by him last Friday. So, I guess I was a little starstruck when I posted it.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.