Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Philip K. Dick

Author Topic: Philip K. Dick
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
When I think of memorable openings, the one that stands out most in my mind is "Lies, INC." by Philip K. Dick. I still remember it word for word although it has been some years now since I have last read it. I find kind of odd though because I have read nearly all his published works and No other opening really appealed to me. I assumed that this was due to the fact that He was a well established writer and never had to grab the attention of an editor. Well here is the first few lines of "Lies, INC." I would like to get your opinion.

"The SubInfo computers owned by Lies Incorporated had been caught in an unatural act by a service mechanic. SubInfo computer Five had transmitted information which was not a lie.

It would have to be taken apart to see why. And to whom the correct information had gone."

Any thoughts?

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Phillip K. Dick was a terrific writer who could grab you and lure you in with the simplest of openings. I've got to say I find his enormous posthumous reputation more than a little puzzling---and wish some of this new-found fame had landed on him while he was actually alive.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I hadn't entertained the idea that his fame came late or after his death. I assumed that he was a huge success.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah...most of his career he was a struggling SF writer...a well-published and well-regarded one, but a struggling one nevertheless. He had greater ambitions and made many attempts to break into the mainstream, but only SF embraced him.

Right at the end of his life, one of his novels was filmed as "Blade Runner," but (I think) it came out right after his death, and his literary career kind of took off after that.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

If only he could have reaped the royalties from Total Recall, Paycheck, and Blade Runner
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget A Scanner Darkly and Minority Report.

Actually, he has the record for the most Hollywood adaptations--last I checked. Michael Chrichton is right up there, too.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 04, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I knew there were others. I just couldn't remember them.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The book that BLADE RUNNER is based on has the title of DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Yeah, it is a great read. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I found out that Paycheck had been adapted. A friend and I were discussing old short stories--that is to say short stories that we read ten or more years ago, and that was one of the most memorable shorts that I have ever read. I still consider it on of the best.

The Philip K. Dick Reader is what I consider a must have for your Sci-fi shelf.I have most of his book also, but a few I labored through.

If you are ever trying to write about a psychotic character read Valis, and you will realize that you need to dig a little deeper to make your character crazy.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited March 05, 2008).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's a shame he couldn't reap these benefits...even if Hollywood cheated him there'd be enhanced sales of his older novels to live off of, besides bigger advances for his newer stuff...look what "2001" did for Arthur C. Clarke...

I wonder who actually is collecting his royalties and managing his estate...after a point, one's estates or trusts or whatever pass out of the hands of anyone who ever knew you...

Ah, well. I read most of my Phillip K. Dick before his death and before Blade Runner..."Do Androids Dream..." was the first, but later I picked up this and that...curiously, the story "Minority Report" that became the movie was, far as I can tell, never included in a collection of his in his lifetime...

[Had to edit...a title came out looking funny...]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited March 05, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

His three children manage the estate . I believe that his daughter, Isa, is the most prominent spokeswomen.

I think they released some previously unpublished short stories last year. I have been meaning to look for it, but have yet to do so.

Confessions d'un Barjo and Impostor are also works that have been adapted. The former being a French film based on Confessions of a Crap Artist

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited March 05, 2008).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.