Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Does this opening work for you?

Author Topic: Does this opening work for you?
Pancho629
Member # 7999

- posted      Profile for Pancho629   Email Pancho629         Edit/Delete Post 
So im not going to say what this book is at first because i want to see if you guys like the opening. if you know what it is, don't tell-

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them. They're quite touchy about anything like that, especially my father. They're nice and all-I'm not saying that-but they're also touchy as hell.

so, what works and what doesn't?

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Pancho, you've chosen an opening that's pretty familiar to an awful lot of people, I'm thinking. (rot13'd - Gur Pngpure va gur Elr)

The book itself never really caught my attention while I read it - perhaps it was the great expectations I had for it, but I attribute my lack of interest in the book to the characteristics outlined in this particular passage - the petulant, irritating, ingratiating voice of the narrator/main character.

That said, the voice here is clear and strong - we know who this person is almost from the end of the first line, which in and of itself is pretty long and rambling (another character note). The close, personal feeling coming from these words is an arm around your shoulders, pulling you into the story that's about to be told, allowing you a near insider's perspective, a confidant's allowance into the tale. So in that sense, it's strong, and it works.

It doesn't work for me because of the character of the MC, but then again, that has to do with the target audience and not the writing itself.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no hint of SF and MC sounds sorry for itself. For me, nothing works and it all doesn't. Especially, it's wrong about the first thing I want to know--which is, why should I read this?

I suspect it's the kind of classic that's forced upon kids to introduce them to literat-ure-gonna-read-this-whether-you-like-it-or-not.

Cheers,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited June 21, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psnede
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree with Jayson, probably more than half of the people will immediately recognize the intro you've listed.

I personally think very highly of the novel, and I like the introduction. It reminds me also a little of A Clockwork Orange, where the narrator is candid in introducing himself to the reader. The narrator you list above could be discussed at quite length, as the author breaks several rules of writing through him (i.e. not having a trustworthy narrator).

Since you're speaking of introductions, an interesting point - one of my favorite novels is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. That has one of the longest, most drawn-out first few pages that you will find in most any book.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Right.

You could've as well chosen David Copperfield, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or It to be as obscure... ( )

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I like it. I can already get the feel of the character/personality of the narrator/main-character, and I enjoy it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't argue that's not a great opening to a great book.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noele
Member # 8081

- posted      Profile for Noele   Email Noele         Edit/Delete Post 
I would read more into it, but I can't say I wouldn't put it down later. I can get an idea of the main character's personality and am curious, but then I'm also unsure and feel prepared to start hating the main character because of his outlook.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.