Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Who makes you want to write? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who makes you want to write?
Twiggy
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Twiggy   Email Twiggy         Edit/Delete Post 
The authors who made me want to read the most are Lewis Carroll, Arthur C. Clarke, and Robin hobb

I think my father gave me the desire to write. Or I was born with it and just never got to it properley.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of the writers who make me want to write are:

David Weber, Jim Butcher, C. E. Murphy, Seanan McGuire and Lisa Shearin

and Issac Asimov.

That was more than a couple and it's still an incomplete list. I could add Tolken to it. Some day I would love to do a Fantasy like his.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited September 14, 2010).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I would like to add to my list.

Seanan McGuire. Her latest is "An Artificial Night". Its her third October Daye novel.

She is one of the up and coming newer writers who have a way with words. I have already use her MC as modal, for a short story, and I wouldn't mind doing it again.

This series is a darker Urban Fantasy series about a female PI who is half fey. She sees both sides of the Fey world -there doesn't seem much of an in-between-which is why its dark.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllyL
Member # 9246

- posted      Profile for AllyL   Email AllyL         Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth Graham and Dennis Lehane. Also, those characters who live inside my head and have long conversations with each other. Then they decide to do things without asking my advice or permission. The best. Except when I'm driving and I don't notice the light's green. People get annoyed.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I could say that Eric Brown in his book "Necropath" makes me want to write.

In the book there's a whole city and society inside a spaceport. This one was built on the earth even though it's one huge structure. It took me a few pages to realize this port wasn't in space. But there the rich levels in the port, the very poor levels and so far not so much in-between. I don't know if that is because there isn't much in-between or if it's because the MC doesn't deal with the in-between. Anyway, I want to write a book that takes place on some type of structure where I can develop a whole society with different levels.

PS can anyone figure out what a Necropath does? The book says but it wasn't what I expected.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Just remembered from a comment on another thread.

The Stainless Steel Rat series. Can't recall the writer right now though. Famous guy too. Anyway, I loved those books, well the last couple got into some off beat adventures with slimy aliens but the whole idea was still great. I have on more than one occasion thought about trying my hand at a similar character.

Not sure if I would be able to pull it off though, the criminal element would be a bit tricky. But it would be fun.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 25, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Harrison.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yep. Harry...duh.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think I said this before but Tolken makes me want to write. I saw part of the second Lord of the Ring movie again the other day and I want to write an epic fantasy..again. Every time I see one of those movies or read the books I want to write an epic fantasy. I know I can, of course that's not saying the writing would be as good but I can do it.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

In "Worlds of Weber", which I recently finished reading, is a very good space opera tale involving Honor Harrington. In his novels, Honor may be David Weber's most famous and favorite character. This tale is when she just graduated from the Fleet academy and is on her midshipmen cruise. If she passes she becomes an Ensign, if she fails she is out.

Excellent story telling here even though Weber is good at his works, I think he really shines with the Honor stories.

Anyway every time I read his space opera I want to write the same type of story. It wouldn't come out the same of course and probably not half as well done but I still want to write that type of story.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited December 31, 2010).]

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
"No one was writing the sort of stories I wanted to read, so I had to write them myself." -- Samuel R. Delany

Reading never makes me want to write. However, discussing what I've already written -- that sets me off every time. I'm not a creator, I'm an extrapolator.

BTW, Rich, how are you going to write once you run out of fingers?

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I posted this on another thread but it also goes here I think, for those who don't read that thread. This isn't about a book or story by a certain writer but a picture so you can say that the artist, Mark Rademaker , inspired me.

I have a Star Trek: Ships Of The Line calendar. January's pic is of a starship with two circles around the aft end. Both are proton excelleraters, using a different method of create a wrap bubble. But my idea is that instead of an Excellerater being built underground build one around a spaceship for power. Hmmm, all kinds of possibilities there.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Saw the cover for a new John Ringo book. "Citadel" is some type of space opera. Anyway I came up with the basic idea for a story about a space station that becomes the railing point in a far off sector of space during an invasion. It could become like an old time castle, surrounded by homes and such.

Than there was the book about a fallen angel trying to become human in the first leg of a journey in an attempt to get back into Heaven. I came up with my own ending for a close idea to that. Green in one of his "Nightside" books already did my idea but mine would be different enough, if I ever do it.

But I would not mind doing one like the original plot. It could be fun.

And no I didn't buy the book, I was there to buy writing books since I have like ten books to read now and March may have five new ones I am eagerly waiting for.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, not sure if it was on this one or the reading thread or both but we talked about Rangers and someone mentioned a series or three that were about Rangers of one type or another, well I found this one at B&N. Looks intriguing

The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice Series #11)
by John Flanagan

Oops, looks like I picked the wrong thread from the list I had but it will probably be okay.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 05, 2011).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.