Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » BAD MOON RISING, Sherrily Kenyon

Author Topic: BAD MOON RISING, Sherrily Kenyon
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just an example of what drove me crazy in this book. The character introduced here shows up in the book a total of four times. Here, he's about to join a fight that the protagonists could have lost as easily without his help. The second time he appears, he's asked a question he doesn't have the answer to--and apparently does nothing to find out. The third and fourth times he's merely mentioned as being present. The brother referred to here never enters the story.

quote:
Acheron Parthenopaeus, leader of the Dark-Hunters and immortal Atlantean god under a massive crisis situation, not the least of which was his own brother trying to kill him, cursed as he hung up the phone.

From just this one sentence:

• If he's immortal, how can anyone be trying to kill him?
  • This story takes place in New Orleans. Do I really need to know that he's an Atlantean god? (It turns out he's hiding that fact from all of the other characters, anyway.)
  • Since he's about to fight Daimons (not to be confused with demons, which also figure in this story), do I really care about his brother?
  • The Dark-Hunters haven't even been introduced yet. I have no idea what being their leader means. (That never really is made clear in this book, btw.)
  • How many clauses can you fit into a single sentence before it becomes a run-on?

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited May 27, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Send that one in to the Bulwer-Lyton Worst Sentence contest!

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 27, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

If this isn't too late.

I don't mind knowing all of that. And Immortal doesn't mean they can't be killed, its just that they don't age, as I understand it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.