Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Have you read this book?

Author Topic: Have you read this book?
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Long ago, when I was a teen, I picked up a fantasy book at the library. I read some of it, but I never finished it. There were a few scenes that stuck in my mind and if anyone knows the title of it I would greatly appreciate it.

This is what I remember:

I believe there were strange merfolk who were considered dangerous. There was also a storyline about a changeling baby - I think it had pointed teeth.

The scene I remember the most (and the reason why I put the book down) was of a woman who was tied to a post at a crossroads with a sign overhead. I believe it was along the lines of she was to be punished and men have her way with her. If I remember correctly, someone did, but he was otherwise disguised or in shadows. She is later released and gives birth (perhaps to the strange changeling baby? I don't remember).

If any of this sounds familiar, please let me know.

thanks!

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
That scene sounds familiar, but I can't pull out either the author or the title.

Sorry.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

Some more details I remember: I am pretty sure it was a paperback. I remember the cover being high fantasy type art - possibly the mermaids I remember being on the cover.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds familiar to me as well. Piers Anthony comes to mind but I don't think thats quite it.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited December 03, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds familiar to me as well. Piers Anthony comes to mind but I don't think thats quite it.

No, if it's the one I'm kind of half thinking of, it didn't have Piers Anthony's wit.

The woman in the stocks was a fairy, I think. Placed there by a spurned lover as revenge, not punishment. She then exchanged her girl child with a boy, possibly a prince, definitely from a high family. The girl changeling didn't have pointed teeth that I recall (if it's the same book). She had wild hair that was completely unmanageable until the Queen of the Fairies gave her a magic brush, which she then lost.

I remember mostly the story of the girl and a boy who was apprenticed to a wizard of some kind.

Assuming it's the same book. I don't recall the merpeople particularly.

Still no clue about an author or title.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Piers Anthony had a young woman who had been chained up by her village to be sacrificed to a virgin-eating monster. She was rescued by her sweetheart who had sex with her as she was chained up (because he couldn't get her out of the chains). Since its victim was no longer a virgin, the monster went off and destroyed the village. (I think that was VAR THE STICK, but I'm not sure.)
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

Meredith - bells are certainly ringing. Thank you

I might have two books mixed together so it's possible no merfolk are involved, but definitely a woman in the stocks as you described. That's definitely the book I read.

Hopefully your more detailed description will tease the title out of someone's memory.

redux
Member # 9277

After persisting at googling keywords involving fantasy & changelings and rape I finally found the book - It is LYONESSE (aka Suldrun's Garden) by Jack Vance.

The cover art was done by James Christensen - the full cover featuring some mermaids.

Phew. Finally I can rest

Anyway - once again, thank you Meredith. Without your details I don't think I would ever have rediscovered this book.

[This message has been edited by redux (edited March 04, 2011).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.