Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Gene Wolfe

Author Topic: Gene Wolfe
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
In all of the discussions of f/sf authors, I am shocked to not see much on Gene Wolfe. The man is absolutely brilliant. The Book of the New Sun has to be one of the most underrated series in all of literature.

I was curious if anyone else had any thoughts about him and why his name escapes a large number of f/sf fans.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have seen one or two of his books but not that many.

But isn't he known for other genre? Or is that another Wolfe?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
The first 4(of 5) novels that compose The Book of the New Sun are masterworks.
His work Peace is also excellent.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read a number of his works, but haven't read Peace. I have heard high regard for that novel as well.

Gene Wolfe is definitely a sf/f writer. What triggered this post was when I was relistening to one of the writing excuses podcasts and an editor commented that there was little need to edit his works because he considered GW a genius, and himself not.

Anyway, if he is a foreign author, I recommend jumping right in with Shadow of the Torturer.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... so this isn't an author I know, but I'm thinking that maybe I want to get to know him. My question is this. If the only the first 4 of 5 are really great, what happened with the 5th?
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked The Shadow of the Torturer (great cover too) but found the rest of that series downright tedious reading. Concept masturbation without end.

I tried a couple other Wolfe books and ... well, more of same. Didn't finish them. Gave up on him for a loooong time.

In frustration at the library's paltry SF/F selection, I recently pulled a newish Wolfe off the shelf -- Pirate Freedom. And damn, this one is good. It actually goes somewhere, it doesn't just navel-gaze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Freedom

But I wouldn't want to read this sort too often.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have seen the name but I also think of it as being from another genre. I think there's an old time detective named Wolf that could be getting us confused.

But either case I've seen few of his books. Next time I go to B&N I may look him up--that might be this weekend since I have a 20 percent off coupon on top of my usual 10 percent. I may have just been missing his books. That happened with Card.

Off hand I can't say that I have read any of his stuff but I haven't always paid that much attention to the writer's name beyond a couple like Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

In frustration at the library's paltry SF/F selection, I recently pulled a newish Wolfe off the shelf -- Pirate Freedom. And damn, this one is good. It actually goes somewhere, it doesn't just navel-gaze.

Of course a story about Pirates should navel-gaze.

What else are they going to gaze at.

(ducks and heads out of the room)

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's Tom Wolfe -- are you thinking of him? He wrote fiction and non-fiction (1960s pop-culture journalism).

(The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, The Right Stuff, The Bonfire of the Vanities, ...)

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

I never read the fifth entry (urth of the new sun). It is a coda to the tetralogy that takes place many years after the events in the four-volume series that almost read as one long, complete novel.

I didn't read it because it was panned, although it did earn hugo and nebula nominations.

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Just another note about Wolfe -

His writing is not as approachable as someone like OSC or Robert Jordan or Jim Butcher or Dean Koontz, whose works I can read through at a fast speed with my wife watching tv in the same room.

It is more like Cormac McCarthy, William Faulkner, or sometimes Heinlein (I struggled through A Stranger in a Strange Land), where you grab a cup of coffee in solitude and read it at a nice, pleasant pace.

I need to mix my fiction. Despite my love for Wolfe's (Gene, not Tom - although I want to read him too) writing, I need to mix it up with authors who write with broader appeal.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Checked him out at my local B&N. Found two both part of his wizard Knight series.

The blurb on the back made it sound like a YA adventure somewhat interesting until I got to the part about the land with five different realities- levels or whatever that word was.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.