Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Waking in a White Room that *Works*

Author Topic: Waking in a White Room that *Works*
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
The waking-up opening is much maligned, and waking in a white, empty room all the more so. Yet it can be done:

Octavia Butler, the first 13 of Dawn (first book in her masterful Xenogenesis series):

quote:
Alive!
Still alive.
Alive...again.
Awakening was hard, as always. The ultimate disappointment. It was a struggle to take in enough air to drive off nightmare sensations of asphyxiation. Lilith Iyapo lay gasping, shaking with the force of her effort. Her heart beat too fast, too loud. She curled around it, fetal, helpless. Circulation began to return to her arms and legs in flurries of minute, exquisite pains.
When her body calmed and became reconciled to reanimation, she looked around. The room seemed dimly lit, though she had never Awakened to dimness before. She corrected her thinking. The room did not only seem dim, it was dim.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job. I would have definitely read that story.

I notice it didn't have the cliched 'blinding white lights and walls' anywhere in it. The focus was mainly on the feelings the MC was having with the reanimation process and little on any confusion about her surroundings. It works well like that.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought of Dawn when the waking in a white room topic came up. I love the trilogy (I think it was a trilogy) as well.

The other novel (ok, I admit- movie) that I thought of with waking up unaware is The Borne Identity.

Mea Culpa:
Edited to retract my hastily written comment, "Butler is another one of the SF authors who isn't recognized much on this board."

Just because I didn't see something, doesn't mean it isn't there.

[This message has been edited by Wordcaster (edited January 23, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by Wordcaster (edited January 23, 2011).]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Butler is another one of the SF authors who isn't recognized much on this board.

???

I just did a search on this forum for "Octavia Butler" and found that there are over 30 topics that "recognize" her, including two that are dedicated specifically to her and have her name as the topic title.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
It worked for me, but then, it's not the cliche'd opening, either. It starts with something other than waking:
quote:
Alive!
Still alive.
Alive...again.

which poses a big question and also shows that the story knows where it's at. The typical 'problematic' waking scene is the one where it appears the author is trying to 'discover' what the story is about by filling in their blank white page (/room).

Because of the strong start I'd hazard a guess that this sort of opening would make it through the selection process of editors who otherwise post no waking openings on their websites...

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
BenM, I agree, it isn't the vanilla white-room-wakeup opening. For that reason, I think it shows how to make a clichéd idea work. The Turkey City Lexicon says waking in a white room is a sign that the author is having trouble coming up with details for his or world, and that it signals a failure of the author's imagination. Nothing could be further from the case with Octavia Butler! The world Lilith Oyapo awakens to may start in a formless, dimly lit white room (she goes on to say the room is white or gray in a subsequent paragraph on the first page!), but it's rich and vivid and the story that unfolds within it is well told and gripping.

There's nothing wrong with many of the sci-fi clichés, other than that they're usually done poorly. Done well, they transcend cliché.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.