Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » James Stoddard

Author Topic: James Stoddard
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
...is a lesser known fantasy author of two novels of Evenmere, the Gormenghast-like "house of infinite proportions" containing nations and walled fields and orchards under its endless gabled roofs. The novels are THE HIGH HOUSE and THE FALSE HOUSE.

He's struggling to get his third Evenmere novel into print (1st 3 chapters available at https://www.sff.net/people/james-stoddard/The_Winking.html ), even with two stories recently published in the prior and current issue of F&SF (the latter a story of Evenmere).

I loved the whole Evenmere concept: endless ancient halls, rooms, attic containing Jungian and Campbell archetypes (including that of destruction in the "last" dinosaur Jormungand); whole wings of the house being separate principalities and nations; the references to other fantasy realms from Lewis Carrol to William Morris to Homer to Joy Chant and many other fantasists from the old Ballantine Adult Fantasy series of the 70's.

Great stuff. If you get a chance, track down his House books.

Admittedly, itis a bit discouraging that if some of my favorite fantasy authors like Mr. Stoddard can't find an editor / publisher for his novel...well, I'll definitely won't give up my day job.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, I have never heard of James Stoddard. His books sound quite interesting, but I'll have to put him in the queue behind my short story research and a few other novels I have on the list.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the title of the post... I couldn't place the name. But when you said F&SF, the light bulb went on.

I have not read the story in the Mar/Apr issue yet. But "Christmas in Hostage Canyon" was great! I loved the idea behind it.

I have no read his House books, I will have to check it out.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

So I just read THE IFS OF TIME in F&SF Mar/Apr issue. What a great story. I will have to check out his novels now. He is a joy to read.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
James novels are OOP, unfortunately.
However, used PB copies of THE HIGH HOUSE are readily available and cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0446606790/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
and THE FALSE HOUSE as well
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0446607010/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

He's written a third Evenmere novel but, despite the first and best THE HIGH HOUSE winning the Compton Cook Award and praise by many of the best fantasy authors in the field, has yet to find an agent willing to represent him (which really places my own as yet vain quest for representation in sharp despondent perspective) particularly as there is no interest in reprinting the first two Evenmere novels. I've encouraged him to consider e-publishing as a back-up. He recently epublished his "modernization" of William Hope Hodgson's classic THE NIGHT LAND. http://www.amazon.com/Night-Land-Story-Retold-ebook/dp/B004GKNM3W/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

Ug! The same thing happened when I went to read Jeffery A. Carver. The series was out of print.

As far as agents go, I question having one anymore. But that's another topic already being talked about.

Well, used books it is then.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.