Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Game of Thrones question

Author Topic: Game of Thrones question
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this bland for some of you? I ask because I'm finding it really hard to get past the first chapter.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for Wonderbus   Email Wonderbus         Edit/Delete Post 
That's one word I've never used to describe GRRM's writing-bland! It's a while since I read the Game of Thrones, but isn't there a prologue with the guy from the Night's Watch and then the first chapter with Ned Stark executing the guy from the prologue?

Anyway, my advice would be to stick with it and you'll end up reading the best fantasy series ever written imo. And in chapters where nothing much happens, just enjoy the language and the fantastic characters.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I think about it, I don't think bland was the right word. I think unorigional would be a better word even though I haven't gotten past the first chapter yet,
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for Wonderbus   Email Wonderbus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how you'd get that from the opening. It's a typical medieval-style setting with evil beasts in the woods and the good guys in their Keeps.

I think most of the originality comes from the characters who live in the world and what they do. I do like the gods GRRM uses and his magic system though, never seen anything quite like those that I remember.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember struggling with wanting to continue several times early on in the book. I always kept going back to the prologue which I thought was cool and hoping for more of that.

I continued and man was I glad I did, until the latest book, I never even finished it I waited so long for it, and then found out he took it and split it in two. I am sorry but a series shouldn't take 10 years to read. At least not one that is so obvious a continuation after continuation. Stand alone novel series, can take a lifetime and I am fine with that.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed a lot of George Railroad Martin's prior work, and regard it as influential on me and how I write what I write...but I said when the series started and I'll say it again and go on saying it---and, certainly, I've said it here before---that I'll read the series when it's complete, not till then.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Bland? C'mon now -- don't be ridiculous.

;-)

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

yeah bland was the wrong word...haha
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey his next book was leaked, evidently he is hot over it.

http://tinyurl.com/3rqpvyx

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.