Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » How large is your to-read pile?

Author Topic: How large is your to-read pile?
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually can name 10 books off the top of my head I want to read. You can also post them here.

Here's my list:

Daniel Abraham: Dragon's Path

Mira Grant: Deadline

Brandon Sanderson: The Way of Kings

Lois McMaster Bujold: 1st book of the curse of chalion

Jim Butcher: Grave Peril

Ian McDonald:
The Dervish House

Joe Abercrombie:
Before they are hanged

Haruki Murakami: After Dark

Homer: The Illiad

C.S. Friedman: Feast of Souls

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited August 22, 2011).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
E-double-E-triple-E-NORMOUS!

I buy more books than I get around to reading; they're piled mostly in my living room, mixed in with the ones I have read. I keep telling myself I'll get to some of them one of these days, but, maybe, when I'm retired and too broke to buy any new ones, then I'll do it.

Most of those ones are non-fiction, but there's plenty of SF and fantasy in the mix, too. Among many other things, the other six Harry Potter books---I've heard they're pretty good, and the first one was certainly enjoyable. (Might make pretty good movies.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just counted my "to read" piles. They're all on the little student desk in the dining room. (And there's no room for anything else.) Thirty books. Eek. No, I'm not going to list them all.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
My to read pile is one book.
I've had it out from the library for 6 weeks.
I'm on page 113.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Dervish House and The Windup Girl both checked out from the library right now.

I'm 50 pages into The Windup Girl and am absolutely amazed at it so far.

Can't wait to read both of these. I have others on the list, but nothing pressing that I must read. Also, I have books I want to reread that are hanging in my soon-to-read list.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

My to read list is kinda large at the moment. For me that is, I usually have three or so books ready to read but the last few months I ended up with at least thirteen.

Including:

"Uncertain Allies" by Mark Del Franco. The latest in one of his two series. Both are in the same world but I'm not sure about the same time.

"Phoenix Rising" by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morries. A stremapunk spy story. Check out the video they made to advertise it. It's on their website phoenixrising.com I think.

"Center of Gravity" by Ian Douglas. Second in a space opera series, a bit different but that's Ian.

"Unsympathetic Magic" by Laura Resnick daughter of Mike. Second in a light hearted UF series.

"Gods And Monsters" latest in a UF series by Lyn Benedict. Took me a while to find it. I had to buy it at Borders during their out of business sale and I also bought one or two other books there.

One book, "Flinx: Transcendent" by Alan Dean Foster. Last one in the Pip and Flinx series. I've had it for years but forgot about it. But there are one to three other Pip books I haven't read yet so I'm going to get those first.

I also have two books, one anthology," Way of The Wizard", that I've only read half the stories in and another one I started to read out of turn so I stopped and will finish it when I get to it.

I also have the latest in David Weber's Safehome series but it's huge, I forgot where it is on my list so not sure when I will read it.

But I also have a couple of books on my reading list I haven't gotten yet. "Side Jobs" by Jim Butcher. Whenever it comes out in paperback. Which should be any time since "Ghoststory" is out but his books take significantly longer to come out in paperback.

I want to get a new series by C. E. Murphy but on my Nook. The same goes for the second in a series by Bard and J. C. Hendee. Funny thing about Murphy, as much as I love her story telling I'm not that interested in three of her series. I think she has out five now.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited August 24, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear right now, plus Atlas Shrugged and several non-fiction books. However, my "to read" list can be found in its entirety at goodreads.com. Find my list here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1891667-shane?shelf=to-read&sort=avg_rating
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Smaug, have you seen the movie adaption of "Atlas Shrugged"? I believe it was part one.

And I have two new books in my stack, it's getting too high I need to make a second stack even though I took a book from the bottom to start reading.

One I bought is Tanya Huff's Space Opera series. And the second one in a new series by Simon Green.

But I went B&N looking for a the next one in Gilman's P.U.P.I. series. Couldn't find it turns out it won't be out 'till next month. Most have gotten the month wrong or the book wrong anyway since I had 30% off coupon I had to buy something.

I checked her web site and one other. Turns I did have the right month but the wrong book. It's McGurie's next one that is suppose to be out this month. I didn't see it in either of the new book shelves-- one's in an aisle and one's in with the SF and F books. I would have recognized it, it's bright yellow basically. But I didn't think about checking her out when I was there. UGH.

McGuire is one of my favorite story tellers. I hope someone thinks of my work like I think of hers.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the first book of Malazzan Empire but only managed to read the prologue. I keep trying to read it but give up after only a few sentences. It simply does not awake my interest.

I'm still looking for what kind of books I like. I've been disappointed by my purchases too many times and now I've become overly cautious.

I can't buy many of the books people recommend on this forum. The only books coming from abroad are bestsellers or some editor's withered list of favorites. I was thinking of buying ebooks but you can't really peruse those until you buy them. OK, there are samples on Amazon.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited September 21, 2011).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Smaug, have you seen the movie adaption of "Atlas Shrugged"? I believe it was part one.

I haven't. I kind of want to read the book first.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

My to read pile was tall but even though I bought a couple and got one free, it is still shrinking.

But what I wanted to say here is that I found a new UF series today. This may sound a bit sexist but one reason it attracted me was that it has a male MC. Seems like the vast majority of UF books lately have female MCs. That includes my oldest favorite UF series by Laura Gilman -- this female MC thing might be partly her fault, she did such a good job with hers.

Anyway, this one I bought "fated". Yes, it's a small f. According to Butcher Harry Dresden would love this MC. It will be a while before I get to it unless I can't stand it and calls me louder than the other books in line.

Oh, I should add that the female MC thing includes my UF novels. I have a couple of male MCs but my muse seems to have gotten on that band wagon also.

[ March 11, 2012, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL.
My "to read" pile is no longer categorized by "x" number of books but by "x" number of years it will take me to catch up on all my acquisitions and all the books I wish to re-read.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I need to add two things.

That is just the physical books I have, I have a few others I want to read on my Nook if I ever get around to buying them... that includes some from writers here.

And Dr. Bob, your MC is one of the few male ones I've read, even if in your case it was for critting not enjoyment. And I like him I wouldn't mind reading your stuff for enjoyment only. [Smile]

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
That is very kind, LD. I'll write more of Rabbi Cane (the Kabbalist) this year. I stopped after three tales bounced back hard from KDW at WOTF in 2011.

Thought I'd see if I could write something she might like.

Thought I'd see if I could write something pure fantasy or pure sf without any Yiddishkeit (Jewish knowledge and myth).

But its the ol' square key round hole frustration. Can't seem to finish anything.

I may just have to give up and write what seems to best inspire me. Good Shabbos. [Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

You're suppose to be doing that anyway. Writing what inspires you that is.

But I bet there is an audience for the good Rabbi even if they all dislike him at WotF. I do a variety of stuff so I would have a better chance in that regard-- not counting my writing. But there is nothing wrong with doing one type. Something different now and then can be good of course but do what you like. There are pros who do.

And as I'm sure you know WotF is a specialized market to go only by them is not good... Unless they were to send you a Snoopy Rejection of course. But not even at my worse have I received that from them. [Smile]

GreatNovus
Member # 9671

- posted      Profile for GreatNovus   Email GreatNovus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an actual bookcase as my TBR pile. Not to mention an enormous list of things on my Kindle that I've yet to read. Currently readin Asimov's Foundation and after that I'm probably going to finish off THe Doomsday Key or whatever the name of that James Rollins book is that I read a few chapters of a month ago. Once I get that out of the way I'll go back to trying to read the Reacher series by Lee Child.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.