Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » depressing asian films

Author Topic: depressing asian films
legolasgalactica
Member # 10087

- posted      Profile for legolasgalactica   Email legolasgalactica         Edit/Delete Post 
The latest was some Korean story on Netflix called "The Sword With No Name" although most have been Chinese. Anyway, you'd think I'd learn my lesson that Asian film makers like depressing tragedies where bad guys win and the heroes die without achieving anything meaningful, but no; I find a new one that looks interesting and give it a try, hoping in vain that I'll finally like one.

So I was wondering if others have noticed this trend, what you think about it--if you like it or not, and the successfulness of downer books. (George Orwell and Ray Bradbury come yo mind)

Also, if you've found any foriegn made Asian movies with at least partially happy endings please list them.

Posts: 164 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly watch Japanese (animated) films, but I have noticed that the Japanese are less likely to force stories to a stereotypical happy ending--the good guy defeats the bad guy and gets the girl and/or recognized by his peers--than Americans are.

I see this as a good thing, for too many reasons than I can describe here. Basically:

1. Viewers are left with questions that can affect their lives. Many American films offer a feel-good ending that viewers don't have to think about. Many Asian films (that reach American shores) encourage viewers to ponder the issues addressed by the film.

2. More complex issues can be incorporated into the story. Writers aren't limited to what will lead to an obvious, happy ending. They can work toward more bittersweet or influential endings.

4. The love interest is less often treated as a prize. Sometimes, the hero wins (saves the day) and doesn't get the girl. Maybe he dies, or the girl's memory is wiped, or in winning, he's taken on responsibilities that will keep them apart. Sometimes, the story's primary conflict has so little to do with a love interest that there's no concluding action between the hero and the man who could possibly make a good husband. And sometimes, the couple would have to give up too much of themselves to be together happily.

(By the way, stay away from Chinese and Korean historical films if you don't want to watch any more heroes dying. Seriously. Unless you're willing to turn to time traveling romantic comedy. Even better would be to try a Korean romantic drama like Coffee Prince. Actually, not like Coffee Prince; watch that one.)

[ September 11, 2013, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: aspirit ]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legolasgalactica
Member # 10087

- posted      Profile for legolasgalactica   Email legolasgalactica         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I guess you really hit the nail on the head aspirit, especially with #4, although I guess I'm just to shallow to appreciate them as good things.

It's sad news for me though, because if they could just fix the endings I'd have really liked many of the historical films--epic battles and fight scenes, interesting romantic conflicts, etc.

At least I now know I haven't just been the most unlucky viewer of those types of films ever--to always be disappointed and unsatisfied.

Basically, as far as film goes, if it doesn't make me happy--or at least pensive and satisfied, I don't want to waste my time with it. I have enough troubles in my own life to spend time getting depressed or upset over entertainment. (which is why I also don't like all these dysfunctional reality shows or judge shows.)

Posts: 164 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legolasgalactica
Member # 10087

But "Coffee Prince?" I'll have to give it a try.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, aspirit, especially #4*.

I wonder if that might be partly why THE LONE RANGER didn't do so well at the box office, though my husband thinks that it's because the movie starts too slow and then goes way over the top.

I just thought it was a lot of fun, but I have a bit of a weird sense of humor.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

*("in winning, he's taken on responsibilities that will keep them apart")

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought from the movie trailer (seen when I went to see The Hobbit) that The Lone Ranger would bomb...till Johnny Depp, in that strange makeup and costume, said "Keemosabe," I didn't even realize it was that movie. Had nothing to do with the earlier versions (radio, TV, print), and looked like a tough sell to a generation that doesn't automatically think "Hiyo, Silver!" when they hear the end of the William Tell Overture...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.