Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Fed up trying to think of something witty...

Author Topic: Fed up trying to think of something witty...
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brain just doesn't function anymore.

Hello all.

I'm just back to work after 5 months of maternity leave so things are a bit wierd today. You'd think after 5 month "off" I'd have written loads but it doesn't work like that (as those with children will no doubt agree!) I'm getting back to it slowly. I did use the time to go through a lot of old work and resurrect a few stories, characters etc. Once I'm settled back into a routine hopefully I'll get some serious writing done.

I write mainly fantasy. I've completed two novels and have umpteen in progress (especially now).

I live in Ireland, love all things Arthurian and Celtic, Medieval and take as many holidays in France as I can fit in a year (ok, one, maybe two, but its worth it).

I'm sixteen in my head.

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your little one! Is this your first?

I look forward to hopefully seeing your work as I am also a fantasy lover. And you have such inspiration all around you!!

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Hi catnep

She's my second. I have a little boy as well. They're quite a handfull!

I'll hopefully get around to doing a bit of writing soon and will definitely post when I do. I've found the crits I get from the Hatrackers really valuable.

R

Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, there! At the risk of sounding redundant, congratulations! (Yep, that's redundant.) I happen to be a fantasy girl myself, so I'll be on the lookout for your stuff!

--Jaya

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi RFLong. I'm a newbie. Hope to get to know you along the way. Congratulations on the baby. My wife and I had five. Holy Crap, did I say five. Oh well after a couple it didn't seem to make much difference and they are all really fantastic people. Welcome.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Welcome back, RFLong and congratulations!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Thanks Mike

It's good to be back. Now if only I could get my head around this thing these earthlings call "work"!

Talk to you soon
R

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome and congratulations. I'm a newbie and a fellow lover of "all things Arthurian, Celtic and Medieval." I have never been to Ireland but do hope to go someday. I find it a fascinating country with a wonderful history. I hope to get to know you better.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy! I'm a newbie myself.

I've always loved Arthurian legend and consider it a failure that I've never yet finished Morte D'Arthur. Malory's a bit rough but if I can read Shakespeare....

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

Malory's not so rough when you look at Beowulf or Marie de France...

Oh, and Chaucer - but then Chaucer's so rude.

I love Shakespeare too. We had a spirited debate a while ago here about him. Have a look in some of the old topics.

R

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never read "Beowulf" in anything approximating the original, although I've read two different translations--I'm not sure who did the one I had in high school but a couple of years ago I read the one Tolkien worked on (as well as Tolkien's version of "Sir Gawain And The Green Knight").

Chaucer I went after as an English student trying to read the rude bits, only to give up in horror when I realized it was in the original. These days I'd like to have another crack at it.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

I'd nevre claim to have read more than the first line of Beowulf in the original. There was a version recently which was pretty good by Saemus Heaney - helped I think by the fact he's an excellent poet (Irish of course, so I'm biased).

I did my dissertation on Chaucer for my Masters (not on the rude bits though). They were the light relief. There's a lot of social commentary and a great deal of wit.

But he'll always be remembered first for the rude bits.

I liked Tolkien's Sir Gawain but its hard to go through his academic work without going "Did he use this in the Lord of the Rings?" Sort of took away from it a bit for me. Don't get me wrong. I love Lord of the Rings.

R

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.