Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Möge die Macht mit euch sein...

Author Topic: Möge die Macht mit euch sein...
VirulentShadow
Member # 2409

- posted      Profile for VirulentShadow   Email VirulentShadow         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...fĂĽr es ist mit mir.

Yelio all! I am Sean, a lowly freshman at the University of Texas at Austin. Been a fan of OSC for a long time... He's a magnificent writer in most aspects. Anywho, I've been doing not-so-serious writing for a while, but, seeing as how I'm now an English major (originally aerospace engineering...), I figured I should look into more serious writing, and hopefully get some good constructive criticism to go along with any attempts at such.

Hopefully school won't be a hindrance here, but we'll see what happens. Peaceums for now.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What say we switch majors? I'm a freshman English major looking desparately for a way out. It's not all it's cracked up to be, mate, or at least not at CSU. Maybe things are better for you (maybe I should transfer...).

Anyway, welcome aboard!

--Jaya

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome VS!
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
VirulentShadow
Member # 2409

- posted      Profile for VirulentShadow   Email VirulentShadow         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe... about the major:
My mom is an English teacher, and loves the grammar, but hates the lit. I love the lit, and hate the grammar. All a matter of preference really, but there are many aspects to the field that is not particularly played up, as it were. I am enjoying a poetry critquing class (Aristotle, Sidney, Wordsworth, etc, not critiquing our own poetry), which is something I never would have liked had I not given it a chance. But aerospace... is great fun. I just don't want to be doing math for the rest of my life.

And I've been called VS somewhere else... RAS?

Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velkommen, VS. A background in aerospace will be ever so useful in sci fi writing. I'm jealous. I have a friend who draws up blueprint of interstellar craft and then his wife writes a story about it. Have you ever designed such a craft for fun?
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You hate the grammar and you speak German? Mein Gott!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
VirulentShadow
Member # 2409

Rocklover - hehe ya I draw up spacecraft randomly, but it usually isn't very detailed. The most detailed I've gone is concept for a fighter's cockpit and structure as a set for a Star Wars fanfilm (which hangs in the balance at the moment). As for the real aerospace part, I must admit very little knowledge; I was only in aerospace for one semester. I have been an amateur astronomer for years though, and the last semester I learned a lot about the basics of flight and spaceflight.

MaryRobinette - lol yes I am not a great fan of grammar... although many things are working against that dislike... I'm taking a course entitled The Linguistics of Tolkien's Middle Earth, and, as you might expect, there is a good amount of grammar involved. And in learning German (although that was only in high school), I learned more about English grammar than I had ever learned in an English course.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think learning another language is the only good way to get any kind of intuitive understanding of English grammar.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't help that English grammar is so complicated that even grammar fanatics get it wrong sometimes without even noticing. And there's an exception to every grammar rule out there.

I don't mind reading literature, I just hate pulling it apart into tiny pieces, and reading stuff into it that half the time I think is just the imagination of my teacher. Maybe I've just had some bad teachers.

My problem is that I love the concepts in science, but I hate the math. I like the cool, mind-blowing stuff like string theory and black holes, but to get to that stuff you have to jump through so many hoops and learn so much BORING whatnot that I don't know if it's worth it. That and my interests also run to history, music, and education.

In other words? I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Wish me luck!

Hey--Star Wars? Just how much of a fan are you? I mean--Star Wars is what got me writing! In case you couldn't tell by the screen name. (Well, I guess you'd only know that if you read the books...)

Hmm. Nifty.

Jaya

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Velkommen, bienvenue, come on in.

I did three years of French in high school while struggling with English grammar and it actually improved my English grammar a great deal.

I wanted to do astronomy but couldn't handle the math there either (or in physics)--the only sciences I did well were biology, chemistry, and geology (even though the geology teacher was duller than, well, dirt). Bascially, anything past the binomial equation starts to make my head spin.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
VirulentShadow
Member # 2409

Jaina - lol... yes I figured you were into Star Wars... not many people that I know of have the name of Jaina And I am a HUGE fan of SW... and Star Wars EU...

I know what you mean about pulling things apart. In this poetry class, I sometimes think, "Ok, I KNOW the author wasn't thinking of that when he wrote it..." But I think that, in a way, is the great thing about writing. You can write something and have your audience read something completely different than what you had in mind.

And again, I know exactly what you mean with the math. Astronomy and quantum theory is great (reading books like Three Roads to Quantum Gravity, and The Elegant Universe, etc)... I love the theories and ideas, and I can (after a while) wrap my mind around them. But there is no way I am going to go through the math and physics to get the "true" understanding of it.

History rocks. That will probably be my minor. All luck in the world with ya!

ScottMiller - see, those are the sciences I just cannot handle. Had to drop chem last semester... for multiple reasons (the main being, of course, that I was not doing so hot). But yes, learning any language tends to improve grammar (English esp).

Peaceums

[This message has been edited by VirulentShadow (edited March 03, 2005).]

MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sean. Welcome. Glad to know you. hope you enjoy your stay.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

My mother thought I was crazy, coming up to college and expecting to find people who know who Jaina is and who actually care about Star Wars. Then the first person I meet up here is as big a fan as I am. Poor Mom just doesn't understand my obsessions. Only bit of SWEU I don't like is the NJO series. I kept reading for a little while after Vector Prime, but they killed too many characters and warped too many others for me to think it's worth it.

One of my lit teachers explained to me the critical theory that the author is the least knowledgable person about the text. They don't have a clue what they wrote. Which I don't totally buy, but I can critique things like that. Maybe I just don't like it because I've always read for pleasure, and analyzing things seems to be too much work to me.

Definitely thought about doing the history route. Definitely thinking about it again. But there's not terribly much I can do there, either, unless I want to teach. Which... well, maybe. We'll see.

Thanks for the luck--I'm gonna need it.

Jaya

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Jaina, how's your dad doing? Is he still taking the Falcon out for a joyride every time he loses an argument? :P

I still think that "Heir To The Empire" (and sequels) pretty much rules the EU, but I'm a crusty old fart and I read it when it was new, so everyone can discount my opinion.

My brother and I have decided to make it our mission in life to see the first midnight showing of Ep III. I've never been to a midnight SW show, and if this is the last one, I have to be there. "The Empire Strikes Back" is the first movie I ever saw in a theater.

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

No sense in being unlucky 13....

Hey, VS, I admire anyone who can hack the harder sciences. I would have done physics if my math hadn't been so bad (ironically, not taking physics put me into pre-calc, which I almost failed... having it first period, with a teacher who put me to sleep every day, didn't help).

Jaina
Member # 2387

Actually, he lost the Falcon in another bet with Lando. Despite the fact that he promised Mom that he wouldn't gamble with his ship any more. It's okay, though, 'cause Lando gave it back. Again. Honestly, those two... *shakes head*

I loved "Heir to the Empire" (and sequels), but the first SW book I ever read was Paradise Snare, so I'm rather partial to that trilogy.

Ooh, I'd love to see the first midnight showing of E. III! But May 19 is my Dad's birthday, so I might not even get to see it on opening day. Which sucks, because I've never seen a Star Wars movie on opening day, and I really wanted this one to be it! Ah, well. Such is life. Still... midnight...

Shendülféa and I were talking about going to see it together. That would rock. Wonder if she'd be up to a midnight showing? I'd totally go more than once, if we had to! (Shendülféa: Hint, hint...)

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

You know, I once learned something: Never ask Lando to recommend an accountant to do your tax returns. Audit city.

I guess I luck out--my dad's birthday is on May 7, so with a little luck (and advance ordering) I hope to be at one. At least there are a ton of movie theaters in this area, and IIRC at least half of them did midnight showings for Ep 2, so.... *crosses fingers*

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.