Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very new, so I don't know too much what to say about myself. I'm a high school senior taking college classes at the same time (that gets hectic.)

I've been reading since I was two years old (no joke) and read just about anything. My favorite authors are Jane Austen, J.R.R. Tolkien, Orson Scott Card, C.S. Lewis (especially), J.K. Rowling, Michael Crichton, Mark Twain, and Robert Jordan. These are just off the top of my head.

I've been writing for a couple of years and noticed that despite how much science fiction and fantasy I read, most of my stuff tends to be mainstream. Hasn't made much sense to me, but oh well.

Other than that, I'm the oldest of six kids, I'm addicted to ice cream, getting my driver's license in a week, ready to graduate, and looking forward to meeting all of you.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ray,

Greetings and welcome. Looking forward to reading some of your work and to seeing your crits.

Joe

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, what a list! Jane Austen, J.R.R. Tolkien, OSC, C.S. Lewis (He ROCKS!) J.K. Rowling, Michael Crichton, Mark Twain--sounds like a chunk of my list. Don't recognize Robert Jordan, though I feel like I should.

Welcome and good luck here! There are some awesome people here, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jaina: Robert Jordan writes the Wheel of Time books (published by Tor... I think). They've been quite popular for a number of years now. I haven't read them myself but they're around.

Welcome, Ray. If you want some insights, and a few laughs, check out one of Twain's essay collections--IIRC it's called "How To Write A Story" or something similar. It contains, among other things, the infamous "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses." You may have already read it since you're a Twain reader, but if not, you're in for a treat.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I haven't read it yet, but I'll be sure to now. Thanks for the tip.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ray! Welcome. Glad you're here. It's a good time to start getting your thoughts written. You'll be so far ahead. Hope to get to know you better.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.