Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Greetings and Salutations

Author Topic: Greetings and Salutations
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, all!

I am actively seeking peer support and constructive commentary about my writing. I've been writing as a hobby for a few *cough twenty cough* years, it's only been lately that I've realized I've already got a novel carved out. I suppose I'm at that stage where I would like someone to take a peek at some of my stuff and let me know if it's a pile of hooey or not. I don't THINK it is, but I figure a reality-check is always a good thing.

I have always admired Orson Scott Card's writing (gee, when do we newbies get to call him Uncle Orson?). OSC is a master at lean writing, where every word counts. His dialog is engaging and the characters complex. I figured this would be the place for me to find writers who can help me learn to write in a similar fashion.

I have the opposite problem from some of the writers I've seen on the board. I've been co-authoring an original story, and today I tallied up the total, unedited text of what we have. It boggles my mind. It stretches over 1100 pages of text and over 1,098,000 words. It is the result of over two years worth of interactive PBeM play (Play By eMail Role-Playing Game).

Before I begin whittling that text down to something we can submit to a publisher, I wanted to have a chance to submit snippets to other writers for review and critique, and to get some reassurances that there is a nugget of gold worth mining in the midst of all this text.

So, therein lies my basic desire, to see if we have something as special as I think it might be.

Thanks in advance for your comments! And I look forward to being an active participant in this community.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and Welcome.

Few would be willing to tackle a million-word story -- and I doubt there's an editor on the planet who has time for that. Yikes! So long as you don't expect a full story crit, and you offer things up bit by bit, it should be okay. ...

But a million word story? Surely, it would probably be better served as 6 or 7 novels -- a series.

Even still, there could be a lot of fluff to strip away... You will certainly have your work cut out for you.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I agree, I have my work cut out for me. We began this story collectively two years ago. We've been playing it as a Play-By-Email RPG game, and it is the game posts which tally up to the big 1,000,000 mark. We have entire characters we plan on ripping out of the story, so there will be a lot of heavy editing required to make it into a BOOK. But I figure that if Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (Dragonlance series) can do it, then so can we. We do plan on making it into a series, and I see this first "Book" - which we just closed out of yesterday - as Volume One. But I'll have to make some important editorial decisions if I'm going to pare it down to the recommended 100,000 words that would make it publishable. And for that, I'm going to need peer support, and lots of it! I'm delighted to have found this online community and I'm looking forward to learning from everyone!
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya! Looks like you've come to the right place. Remember that a good way to get a lens on your own work is to critique others'. Welcome, and I hope you can get what you're looking for here!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can do "peer support", but I must tell you how it works here on Planet Hatrack:

You gain far more by critiquing than you do by being critiqued. This is a fact. Get involved in Fragments and Feedbacks, offer to crit some full short stories, and gain some valuable experience. Also, feel free to join in on the conversations on the other boards while you do this.

For many people here, give and take goes a long way. Keep that in mind. Not that you had plans to do otherwise, but the words "peer support" scared the hell out of me.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I do a tremendous amount of critiquing with my story group in my role of Game Master. The tough thing for me has been that very rarely do I get the opportunity to have my own writing critiqued.

It's refreshing to find an ACTIVE community where the writers want to improve. I look forward to giving as well as receiving here! (Gee... someone actually WANTS to hear my opinion? Awesome!) And point taken; anything I've ever tried to teach to someone else has enabled me to learn much more about myself.

I've raised teenagers. There is no more humbling experience than that to discover the reciprocal dynamic of teaching/learning.

onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome, Elan.

Kudos for having the tenacity to transcribe all that game time. I used to GM a game for a large group. To this day they're still trying to get me to transform the story notes into a novel. I told them that between my verbosity and their wild tangents, it would be more fun to eat a rusty buick. You have my deepest respect, and I'm sure you'll find the nuggets that your looking for.

Again, welcome,
Joe

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Elan, Welcome. Enjoy your time here. Lots of great talent and great people.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.