Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Primarily Joined to Ask a Question

Author Topic: Primarily Joined to Ask a Question
Ginkasa
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for Ginkasa           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I'm new and I'm feeling a little guilty...

I'm really only joining to find out how someone would go about getting a book punlished; specifically a children's book. I searched, but I couldn't find anything that really outlined it. At the moment, I have absolutely no clue how to start the process and would appreciate finding out.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, anyway! After all, what are you going to do after getting it published? Sit on your... laurels? Go to "Markets for our Writing" and see if there is a useful thread, and go to "Open Discussions About Writing" and ask the question there. Good luck! I don't know the answer myself or I'd be more helpful.

On the other hand... isn't there a publication called Writer's Markets, or something like that? You also want to start crafting query letters. I believe there is a thread here somewhere on that also.

mikemunsil

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited May 17, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginkasa
Member # 2580

- posted      Profile for Ginkasa           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, its not actually for me. Someone I know has written a few children's books, but doesn't have a clue how to publish it, and neither did I. I did, however, know of this forum so she asked if I'd search and ask around for how the publishing thing works.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't find what you need here you might also go over to Notebored and ask there. I believe they're more experienced in that area.

http://rittinger.admiralxp.com/index.php

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, as with the publishing market for adult fiction, you're more likely to get a foot in the door if you have a good resume to impress the publisher with. That is ESPECIALLY true, I would think, of the HIGHLY COMPETETIVE picture book market. You build that resume by getting stories published in magazines.

There are quite a few out there--literary magazines for children. Check out cricket.com. Cricket publishes a whole range of literary magazines for children of different ages. Also, Highlights and others. Do a bit of searching around on the net.

Tell your friend to start selling some of those stories in a format like Cricket before even trying to sell to a book market. Make sure that whatever market he sells to he sells to one that wants first publishing rights and no more than a one year no-print window--meaning that you can't print your story anywhere else for a year. Most places want six months to a year. All other rights must stay with the author. Especially with stories like you describe he'll want to leave the door wide open for later development into a picture book.

Posts: 1670 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure where you are located, but here is a link to a Canadian children's book publisher:

http://www.orcabook.com/AuthorsGuideFrame.htm

This might give your friend something to look at in terms of submission guidelines.

I second Mike's suggestion and highly recommend looking at the query letter thread in the Writing Class section of Hatrack.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
jeduthun
Member # 2563

- posted      Profile for jeduthun   Email jeduthun         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And let's not forget the obvious book: Writer's Market 2005.
Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.