Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Heydeeho!

Author Topic: Heydeeho!
Captain_Bryghteous
Member # 2884

- posted      Profile for Captain_Bryghteous   Email Captain_Bryghteous         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm new here and I just want to introduce myself. I've been into writing for a while (while, such a good, meaningless word that I loath very much. While in this case = three or four years. Maybe a little longer, not sure), though I've never finished a bigger project than sending in a few poems for publication. I love science-fiction (especially if it's space opera) and fantasy (the rare, non-cliche fantasy novels that are out there). As far as my questions concerning getting to know the ropes around here, I guess I just want to know if I can have people check over just one chapter of a novel, or do I have to be all the way done? Also, can I just post a story outline for people to help me work the flaws out of? Well, that's about it for now. Thanks!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard, Cap'n!

You can do pretty much what you want. However, you'll probably get a better response if you critique some other people's material before posting your own stuff. Also make sure to read the "Read this first" and "FAQs" topics to find out what lots of the general expectations are.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Captain!
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have exactly thirteen lines and ask for comments on just that if that's what floats your boat. Not that it'll do you much good, since if you focus on the beginning you'll never get to the end (something I learned the hard way) but that's your call to make, not mine.

Other than that, it's good to have you aboard, Captain!

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the other comments. Show us that you are willing to be a participant by critiquing the writing of others. Then, once you begin developing relationships with others (and piling up the "I owe you one" slips), you'll have a group of people who are willing to do the more in-depth work to help you flesh out a whole story.

Just be careful not to expect US to do your work for you. Yes, we're happy to help, but the general rule is that we'll critique what you have but not fix it for you or come up with the solutions for you. That's your job.

Welcome to Hatrack, and we look forward to seeing your stuff.

Posts: 2025 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain_Bryghteous
Member # 2884

- posted      Profile for Captain_Bryghteous   Email Captain_Bryghteous         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks guys. I'll be sure to follow your advice. I don't mind critiquing other's things right now, anyway, because I'm not ready to post anything. So, I'll see you around!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.