Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
kms
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for kms   Email kms         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Katherine Stephan. I write under the name, Katie Maud Stephan. Since a car accident and two surgeries on my neck, I have stopped working outside the home and write for pleasure and, hopefully, profit. My writing preferences are fantasy, horror, and stories with twists. My story, "Daddy's Girl," is slated to be published in the December, 2007, issue of "Aoife's Kiss," my first writing credit.

I have completed the first book of a fantasy trilogy, tentatively titled "The Golden Floor," and am currently editing it (for the umpteenth time). I have taken an extensive research trip for the second book in the series and have a multitude of notes, although I have not begun writing.

The reason I am so interested in joining an online writers' group is because I have been so very disappointed in the local groups. It seems we have creative differences, the majority of criticism is on spelling and grammar, new members are not particularly welcome, or I would have to travel too far to attend. I desire criticism with substance and imagination and honesty. I pledge to reciprocate in the same spirit.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack. I hope you find what you're looking for. Congratulations on Daddy's Girl, and good luck with The Golden Floor.
Posts: 3682 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome kms -

Congratulations on your sale! Someone twigged me to a pretty nice (and free) tool for tracking short story submissions:

http://www.spacejock.com/Sonar.html

Since you're in a position where this is potentially your living rather than a diversion, you might want to check it out. I am thinking of populating my copy with the venues (looking at Ralan.com under "Paying Markets") in which I would be pleased to see my work appear.

Another interesting note someone mentioned was to aim high, then if rejected by bigger magazines, then (rework if desired and) submit to lesser houses.

Best wishes!

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kms
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for kms   Email kms         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone. I truly appreciate the welcome. I figure I'll read and critique awhile before I submit anything for your opinions. I have already learned a great deal from comments on others' works.
Thanks again.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.